LemmeIn

Importing a car BACK to the US

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Long story short, my wife initially immigrated to Canada and we imported her US purchased car here. After a year in Canada, we decided to move to the US instead. My wife moved back first to the US first and transferred the car into my name and the plan was for me to import it once my green card is approved.

I did some research and it appears to be fairly straight forward. Basically, make sure your car is compliant with the US EPA & Safety regulations. Roll up to the border, let the officer know your intention of importing the car, fill out the HS7 form.

I am wondering about the compliance letter, will I still need to provide this? I still have the original bill of sale (under my wifes name.) Will this be enough to prove the compliance as it was purchased in the US to begin with?

I looked under the hood and I found the Toyota sticker that says it complies with US EPA regulations. On the side car door, there's another sticker which says MFD By Toyota. This vehicle conforms to all applicable federal motor vehicle safety, bumper, and theft prevention standards in effect on the date of the manufacturer shown above although it doesn't mention "US." The car was manufactured in Japan.

Anyways, I was wondering if I could just roll up to the border to import the vehicle. Unfortunately though, I lost the original title but I have a Canadian ownership slip. Also, does the DMV issue you a new title once you register it in the state of residence?

Edited by LemmeIn

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

We just re-improrted our cars. No compliance letter needed, our cars had the EPA stickers and were in the US originally. They wanted to see our current BC registration and an old US state registration (to show that we owned it in the US and didn't need to be taxed). Most likely, you actually wouldn't have the original (US state) title because when you registered the car in your province, they would have taken it. Not sure what other provinces do, but BC's title was like one line on my registration, not a whole separate document.

Yes, you will get a new title in your new state when you go to register your car.

The only snafu I can see is that you might get hit with state taxes when you register if it's in your name, and not your wife's.

K1 Vancouver

AOS

4/4/15- AOS/EAD/AP sent

4/6/15- Package received

4/9/15- NOA1- text/email

4/13/15- NOA1 hard copy EAD/AP (NOA1 dated 4/7)

4/14/15- NOA1 hard copy AOS (NOA1 dated 4/7)

4/17/15- Biometrics Letter received

4/29/15- Biometrics completed

6/23/15 (Day 77)- Service request

7/2/15 (Day 86)- Service request complete, email of approval of EAD (approved on June 30)

12/29/15- Interview

Timeline

I guess that's where the title went.. I could of sworn they took it but I was wondering why would they...

Don't I get it as a "personal exemption" since it is a "personal belonging" as I am immigrating to the country?

At least this is how it was when we immigrated to Canada..

Timeline

The only other thing I can imagine is having my wife register for a replacement car title and then have her register it in her name?

It was initially purchased and plated in WA state anyways so I imagine they would have the information. Seems like the cheaper route if we need to pay more taxes on it.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Looks like you should be fine.

From the cbp website:

Re-Importing A Previously Exported Vehicle
A vehicle taken from the United States for non-commercial, private use may be returned duty free by proving to CBP that it was previously owned and registered in the United States. This proof may be a state-issued registration card for the automobile or a bill of sale for the car from a U.S. dealer.

To qualify as a personal exemption, you'll need to have owned it for a year. Otherwise, it's 2.5% of the value of the car. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Doubt you'll get hit with taxes in WA. WA seems to be one of the easiest in terms of getting a DL and registering your car. They mentioned nothing about paying tax when we registered our cars. We did come armed with proof we paid tax before, but they never asked for it. Just wanted the application, BC registration, stamped form from the border, our WA DL, and our emissions test. Husband and I went at separate times and had the exact same experience. Very easy. Hardest part was finding the bleeping entrance to the emissions test station.

K1 Vancouver

AOS

4/4/15- AOS/EAD/AP sent

4/6/15- Package received

4/9/15- NOA1- text/email

4/13/15- NOA1 hard copy EAD/AP (NOA1 dated 4/7)

4/14/15- NOA1 hard copy AOS (NOA1 dated 4/7)

4/17/15- Biometrics Letter received

4/29/15- Biometrics completed

6/23/15 (Day 77)- Service request

7/2/15 (Day 86)- Service request complete, email of approval of EAD (approved on June 30)

12/29/15- Interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.