josef_k

Administrative Processing black hole & change of pick up location

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello. I had my interview at the London embassy March 2. I was told that my K1 visa was approved and that I would get the visa and my passport in two weeks. When I check my CEAC status is still says AP nearly three weeks after. I know that it can take up to 15 business days but seemingly most are issued way faster than that, which means that they are capable of making it happen. I have "no trace" on both of my police certificates and my medical was cleared.

Does anyone know why this could be the case? I have tried calling the deeply unhelpful and rather incompetent people at the call center, as well as sent an e-mail through the embassy's website.

I am not a UK citizen and need to go back to my home country (in the EU) next Tuesday. I feel that it is preposterous that you hand over your passport without getting any kind of receipt, and then they can't even tell you when they will give it back to you, or if there are any problems regarding your case.

My second question: does anyone know if there is a way to change the courier pick up place although the website says that one can't?

If I leave the UK without my passport I will not be let back in because of lack of Schengen agreements and it would solve all of my problems if my visa+passport could somehow be sent to my home country. If not, could one of my friends pick it up for me?

Thanks

People not born in the UK sometimes (often?) have extended AP. The interviewer does not know if you will clear the final security checks so approved does not mean the visa is being issued immediately. He thinks so but was mistaken. Many are cleared in 4-8 weeks but there have been some lasting many months.

How can you leave the country without your passport?

Did you arrange to collect the passport at one of the depots? Someone who has id from you would be allowed to pick it up.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Thank you for responding.

I have waited for this visa for nearly ten months, the petition alone was not approved until after six months. So I don't find it strange for them to take a long time to clear/issue the visa. But can they really keep my passport for 4-8 weeks without giving me some kind of revised timeline? It sounds absurd. And the website also says that if the consular officer thinks the issuing might take longer than 15 days, they should let you know when being interviewed.

I am from Sweden and I called the Swedish embassy today and they said I can leave the UK with only my national identity card, but not re-enter.

I arranged for it to be collected in a depot i Scotland where I live. So if I just give my ID card to a friend, they can collect it? Almost sounds too easy...

It's mostly Middle Eastern countries that have the longer AP. Apparently the interviewer didn't anticipate a holdup because they don't keep the passports when they know they won't get issued in a matter of days.

The home delivery people are supposed to see ID of some kind like a license, credit card, or bill addressed to the recipient. There are many reports that they never even ask. Call the depot to be sure of their policy. The depot numbers are posted in this thread. http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/474161-london-k1-a-complete-guide/?p=6978899

I copied the list before they removed the numbers from the website.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Oh, that's very helpful. My worst way out would be traveling to Sweden, wait for the visa to be issued. Pay for a temporary passport and a return ticket to the UK just to pick up the visa. Which would be ridiculous both financially and environmentally.

My (new ≈ after "ready") CEAC status was created March 3 (day after interview) and updated March 4. It says "non immigrant" on top. My boyfriend's theory is that they meant to change to "issued" but somehow it was not registered and kept on saying AP. Could it be that silly?

Oh, that's very helpful. My worst way out would be traveling to Sweden, wait for the visa to be issued. Pay for a temporary passport and a return ticket to the UK just to pick up the visa. Which would be ridiculous both financially and environmentally.

My (new ≈ after "ready") CEAC status was created March 3 (day after interview) and updated March 4. It says "non immigrant" on top. My boyfriend's theory is that they meant to change to "issued" but somehow it was not registered and kept on saying AP. Could it be that silly?

It all varies, but lately an expected sequence might be Interview...skip a day...issued...skip a day...email about delivery for the next day. Weekends don't count as days.

With that, you could have expected delivery March 9, even if somebody forgot to update the status. If it is truly in AP, they won't tell you anything like what they are checking or how long it will take. It's all very secretive.

Maybe you could use the contact form and ask them to confirm your visa is truly in extra security processing and not fallen behind a desk. Calling doesn't get you to the immigrant visa unit that has the file. Is this the contact you used? http://london.usembassy.gov/niv/visa_contact_form.html

Pick the reason second from the last because you want somebody in immigrant visas to answer. You probably won't hear back by time for you to leave, so not too useful except for have a bit of I of.

It is quite possible that you can work out something with the courier to send it on to Sweden if you pay extra for the service. I think you would arrange that yourself, not with the embassy.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Yes, that is the contact form I used, although I picked the third one down, about K or immigrant visa application.

I will try again on Monday, because then it has been exactly fifteen business days after the interview. Even if they have put me through some high security processing (which would be absolutely ridiculous), are they really allowed to hold on to a person's passport indefinitely, without giving some kind of revised timeline?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.