JonathanC13

Travel insurance when visiting the UK

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Next week I am visiting the UK for the first time since emigrating 15 months ago. I gather that as a UK citizen I am still entitled to NHS services without charge, however was wondering if anyone in similar circumstances had taken out insurance to cover repatriation in the event of illness or injury? The idea of heading to the US whilst ill is insane obviously, but I have health benefits through work and nowhere to live in the UK.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi Jonathan,

I'm afraid that as a UK citizen you aren't entitled to all the benefits of the NHS as you are no longer resident. "If you are moving abroad on a permanent basis, you will no longer be entitled to medical treatment under normal NHS rules. This is because the NHS is a residence-based healthcare system."

I can't find evidence that UK citizens have any other health privileges (but I could be wrong on that), but I do know that visitors are entitled to free A&E treatment as well as at sexual health clinics.

I would check with your work regarding their healthcare coverage to see if that covers international travel, I believe that is the case with my american fiancee's family's insurance. If that does not cover it I would strongly recommend getting some travel insurance to be on the safe side.

There is some more information regarding the nhs for non-residents at these links:

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/wales/healthcare_w/healthcare_help_with_health_costs_e/nhs_charges_for_people_from_abroad.htm

http://www.nhs.uk/nhsengland/aboutnhsservices/uk-visitors/pages/accessing-nhs-services.aspx

Paul (UK) and Brianna (USA) <3

January 2012 - Met in Manchester, UK

29th Sept 2014 - Sent I-129F

8th Oct 2014 - NOA1 received by email/text

9th Nov 2014 - *Officially* engaged in Edinburgh, UK

28th Dec 2014 - Visited Brianna in the US for 10 days

17th April 2015 - Visited Brianna in the US for 1 month

21st May 2015 - NOA2 received by email (225 days)

8th June 2015 - Sent to NVC (19 days)

15th June 2015 - Received by NVC (8 days)

16th June 2015 - Case number assigned

18th June 2015 - Left NVC

22nd June 2015 - Medical

23rd June 2015 - ​Received at London

23rd June 2015 - DS-160 submitted

28th June 2015 - Readinesss form submitted

29th June 2015 - Received packet 3

14th July 2015 - Received packet 4

6th August 2015 - Interview - Approved!

12th August 2015 - AP

13th August 2015 - Issued

18th August 2015 - Visa delivered (Home delivery)

21st August 2015 - POE

1st October 2015 - Wedding!

20th October 2015 - Mailed adjustment of status application

27th November 2015 - Honeymoon! 9 days in U.S. Virgin Islands

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.