silk

n400 interview and issues

12 posts in this topic

Hello all,

My interview is coming up in 5 days but something has been bothering me for quite a while. Though I've long decided to just go with it and see what happens, my new discovery is now giving me added worries. Some timeline to help with any suggestions/opinion.

Got married in 05/2009

Conditional green card approved in 12/2009

10 year green card approved without interview in 07/2012

Divorced finalized in 07/2013

Problem 1

Pertaining to the divorce, I told the lawyer we separated in 11/2011 but the reality was that, we were actually living together up until July 2012 when I got a new job and subsequently filed for divorce due to infidelity. Obviously with my emotions all messed up then, I wasn't thinking straight and just didn't want anything to do with her. I had discovered she got pregnant for someone else while we were married and she had been lying to me all the time that it was mine until i found out. I simply gave the lawyer any date that would speed up the process

My 10 year came in the mail around the time the whole cheating and pregnancy story started unfolding. I couldn't do anything as we were together up until that moment. I have no tolerance for cheating and filed for divorce immediately.

While I've decided to just go with the flow as far as problem 1 is concerned, I was reviewing my documents for the interview when i discovered problem 2

Problem 2

I had filed 2012 as married filing jointly even though we were living together just a little over half the year. The tax preparer said it was fine to file jointly even though divorce was pending. The problem however is that, my ex and I agreed to list her son on the return since it was going to save on how much we had to pay (My income went up a lot due to the new job and I was going to end up paying a lot to IRS if i filed single)

The problem is that i stated on my n400 application that I have no child but my tax transcript in 2012 says otherwise, do i have any defense?

I've come to realize that when you can't convince ordinary people on your case, it's usually very difficult to win in front of the experts who've seen it all so I've decided to come to you guys here.

Does my case makes sense enough to anyone here enough to think it'll make sense to the office who will be reviewing them in a few days? Any suggestions or advise?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Good golly. you have been through a mess. First, I am so sorry to hear all your troubles. Second, if she was living with you I can't see why you can't tell these so called experts your circumstances of her having to live with you and that you were able to claim her and the child as dependants. I think if you calmly explain your situation everything will work out just fine. They are there to listen to your story, so just tell it like it is. I wish you the best of luck.

If in divorce papers it's mentioned that you were separated while applying for ROC, that might be a problem.

Also applying for divorce immediately after getting green card is not a good sign.

Tax thing created more complex problems. You need to consult a very good lawyer and better have very convincing answers to these questions.

Even if you found out about your wife's pregnancy, what were you waiting for, waiting for getting the green card. This question should be answered in a very convincing manner.

Good golly. you have been through a mess. First, I am so sorry to hear all your troubles. Second, if she was living with you I can't see why you can't tell these so called experts your circumstances of her having to live with you and that you were able to claim her and the child as dependants. I think if you calmly explain your situation everything will work out just fine. They are there to listen to your story, so just tell it like it is. I wish you the best of luck.

Yeah definitely. I know i've got a lot of explaining to do. Thanks for the kind words.

If in divorce papers it's mentioned that you were separated while applying for ROC, that might be a problem.

Also applying for divorce immediately after getting green card is not a good sign.

Tax thing created more complex problems. You need to consult a very good lawyer and better have very convincing answers to these questions.

Even if you found out about your wife's pregnancy, what were you waiting for, waiting for getting the green card. This question should be answered in a very convincing manner.

What do you mean waiting for? If you're referring to why i didn't file for divorce, i think i mentioned I was made to believe the baby wasn't mine and I filed for it when the facts came through that I was being fooled.

I do understand initiating the divorce right after the green card will raise eye brows but i think it'll be deceitful to remain in the marriage at that point when clearly It wasn't working again.

I passed my interview and was recommended for approval. She asked when we stopped living together and i told her right about the time i was approved, she wanted a specific time and i gave her the month which happens to be the month after the ROC was approved. She didn't ask for my tax transcripts or mentioned anything about my ex's child. Thank God this immigration journey has finally come to an end.

Thank you all for responding.

I passed my interview and was recommended for approval. She asked when we stopped living together and i told her right about the time i was approved, she wanted a specific time and i gave her the month which happens to be the month after the ROC was approved. She didn't ask for my tax transcripts or mentioned anything about my ex's child. Thank God this immigration journey has finally come to an end.

Congratulations must be a relief to be almost done. We're you given an oath letter?

Congratulations must be a relief to be almost done. We're you given an oath letter?

Thanks.

Absolutely! I feel like a bird right now. It ain't even like I was in any kind of prison with the green card, just something about getting it over with and not having to deal with immigration again.

Yes, I got my invitation to the oath ceremony on the spot.

Edited by silk

Thanks.

Absolutely! I feel like a bird right now. It ain't even like I was in any kind of prison with the green card, just something about getting it over with and not having to deal with immigration again.

Yes, I got my invitation to the oath ceremony on the spot.

Love your description...... Hoping to have the same soon?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I told you if you explained your situation everything would be fine. So happy to hear. Your done and can get your life started again. Best of luck.

I told you if you explained your situation everything would be fine. So happy to hear. Your done and can get your life started again. Best of luck.

You did! Thanks you very much.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.