Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

IRA in lieu of salary?

2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi to all, a question about support. Is it possible to use an IRA (Individual Retirement Account), which has quite a bit more than 3x the federal poverty level, to satisfy the I-864?

I'm not retired, but have been back in the US taking care of my mom after many years abroad, and my wife of 7+ years, remained in the Philippines attending nursing school. She's now finished school and I would like to bring her to the US, but my income the last three years doesn't meet the federal threshold.



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, an IRA can be listed as an asset. For it to count, an asset has to be liquid or easily converted to cash within one year. You'll pay a 10% tax penalty for cashing in an IRA early or before retirement, BTW.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.