newbud

San Francisco office, N400

9 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I was just wondering if someone can share his/her interview experience at SF office. Like the timeline to get an interview from filing date. Do they give you oath letter there or mail it and how much time it takes to get an oath letter after interview.

I have noticed that TX takes less time than AZ for N400, as I saw last few month's trends but it was really opposite for I751. My application last year just took 3 months to get approved at SF, and now it seems like it's gonna take at 3-4 months for an interview.

It will be helpful if someone can share an experience or just the timeline of getting an interview from filing date.

Edited by newbud

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi all,

I was just wondering if someone can share his/her interview experience at SF office. Like the timeline to get an interview from filing date. Do they give you oath letter there or mail it and how much time it takes to get an oath letter after interview.

I have noticed that TX takes less time than AZ for N400, as I saw last few month's trends but it was really opposite for I751. My application last year just took 3 months to get approved at SF, and now it seems like it's gonna take at 3-4 months for an interview.

It will be helpful if someone can share an experience or just the timeline of getting an interview from filing date.

No one?

The search box in the upper right corner of the page is your friend :-)

I searched for "San Francisco Interview Experience" and this is the first thing that came up:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/295767-citizenship-interview-experience-in-san-francisco-ca/

It's old, but if you try a few different searches, you should find some info.

Hopefully others will chime in too.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Filed: Timeline

My experience (This is from the Oct 2014 thread):

I had my interview on Monday at the San Francisco office. Everybody that works there is super nice. I would recommend that you arrive earlier than you normally would because there's a line to get inside the building. The entrance process is very airporty, you gotta take your shoes off and go through an X-ray door frame. That line took so much of our time that I had barely sat down when they already called me in! Surprisingly we started with the civics test (Q: How many senators, the declaration of independence, who is in charge if the president and vice-president can't, how many justices on the supreme court, how many years senators work for, one branch of government) then we went through every question on my 400 form. My memory works in a way that I remember the phone numbers of my elementary school friends, but I don't remember the year when I moved to this house. I can also remember the names of the American Idol, Amazing Race and Survivor contestants, but I've no idea of how many times I left the country in the last 5 years. Other than those snafus everything else went great. The IO made "7 annotations" to my form (I want to think that's normal) and told me I was being recommended for approval and would hear from them sometime in the next 1 to 3 months. Hopefully I'll get the oath invitation soon.

Edited by LuckyCarrot

That sounds great luckycarrot.

One more question. Did you apply on 3 year or 5 year rule. The reason I am asking, as I am applying under the 3 year rule and want to know if spouse is required to go for interview specifically for SF. Few people say it's fine not to bring spouse if you have enough docs (which I have), few say it's required.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

That sounds great luckycarrot.

One more question. Did you apply on 3 year or 5 year rule. The reason I am asking, as I am applying under the 3 year rule and want to know if spouse is required to go for interview specifically for SF. Few people say it's fine not to bring spouse if you have enough docs (which I have), few say it's required.

A spouse is never required to attend an N400 interview. There are some cases where interviewers have mentioned that they consider it a good sign that a spouse is there, but most interviewers are sensible enough to know that a spouse isn't going to take a day off work to sit in a waiting room.

So is it required? Absolutely not.

Could it help? Possibly (but unlikely).

If you're in a legitimate relationship, it shouldn't make any difference.

Sometimes interviewers ask for ridiculous things... in one recent case the applicant was asked if she had her husband's drivers license... I don't know how that's evidence of a legitimate relationship... if anything, it's evidence that she picked up the wrong wallet.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.