home123

Name on Driver's License different from Green Card

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi, I have an interview scheduled for citizenship scheduled within 9 days. I recently received a letter telling me the proper documents to bring in for the interview, and one of them is legal name change if my name is different than what is on the green card.

Here's the thing, I've been living in the United States for the last 23 years... I came here when I was 6 years old and just started using an American name right off the bat because my foreign name on my passport was too hard to pronounce. Anyway since then my name on my social security, Driver's license, academic, etc has always been my American name.

Will this be a problem during my interview? What can I do right now to fix this if anything needs to be done? Please help! Will my application be denied because of this and I would have to go over the process all over again?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi, I have an interview scheduled for citizenship scheduled within 9 days. I recently received a letter telling me the proper documents to bring in for the interview, and one of them is legal name change if my name is different than what is on the green card.

Here's the thing, I've been living in the United States for the last 23 years... I came here when I was 6 years old and just started using an American name right off the bat because my foreign name on my passport was too hard to pronounce. Anyway since then my name on my social security, Driver's license, academic, etc has always been my American name.

Will this be a problem during my interview? What can I do right now to fix this if anything needs to be done? Please help! Will my application be denied because of this and I would have to go over the process all over again?

Your legal name is the name on your birth certificate unless you legally changed it, which you did not.

If you don't want your birth name printed on your naturalization certificate, fill out the name change portion of the N400... your name will be legally changed to the name of your choice. That's all you have to do.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Filed: Timeline

Your legal name is the name on your birth certificate unless you legally changed it, which you did not.

If you don't want your birth name printed on your naturalization certificate, fill out the name change portion of the N400... your name will be legally changed to the name of your choice. That's all you have to do.

Thanks for your reply. So this can be done at the interview that they scheduled me for?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Thanks for your reply. So this can be done at the interview that they scheduled me for?

You should have filled out the name change part of the application. Since you didn't, you need to let your interviewer know that you changed your mind and you want to legally change your name. Your legal name on the application should be the name on your birth certificate and your new name should be the one you want.

If you are anywhere in the country other than San Francisco or San Jose, you should be ok.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.