vgabbie33

To file K1 Visa Before or After US Navy Bootcamp

26 posts in this topic

Sounds like me and my husband lol. No, your affidavit of support isn't needed during the initial filing. But one thing you have to remember is that you cant control how quick it will be adjudicated. If it gets immediately approved, what will you send as affidavit of support? The Philippines is extremely strict about co-sponsors. (I've read they dont allow it even). This is just something you should consider. Another thing, like Darnell said, is you need to check if you meet the income threshold. My husband is from California and is currently based in North Carolina too (USMC). He used his CA address for filing to make sure that someone will be home to receive all his mail since they kept moving him around different barracks.

Edited by iammrsregie

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

When Gloria and I filed last year, Gloria was living with me in Guatemala and had no income, so for two years she didn't file taxes (she was still a dependent of her parents). On April 2014 we sent out the application, she moved to the US in June and started working in July, her income is over the 125% poverty guidelines, when the time came for the interview, we provided the Affidavit of support, a letter of why she didn't file taxes for 2 years and also a letter of employment stating when she started working and how much she was earning and it was sufficient to get the visa approved.

Depending on the Op's particular situation, do you think she should really wait until November to file? Or is it a good idea to file just before leaving for Bootcamp, which will give her a couple of months to earn some income and also that way at least she'll be busy for 2 months, then graduation and then A-school...

As a side note, you should document your immigration+military experience, it'd be a cool story!

When you filed in April 2014 did she put any employment in the G-325A? How long did it take for the approval? Did she have a co sponsor?

Still having second thoughts on filing it now because i am unemployed and i did not file taxes of course.

I moved here in the US June2014, I lived permanently in the Philippines before but I am a US citizen. I worked less than a month in July2014 Here in US then after that I've been unemployed through present time, I focused on enlisting with the Navy.

Your wife and I will have similar situations if ever, coz I can provide my income in July2015 I will be a sailor by that time.

Thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts and experiences!

Edited by vgabbie33

Timeline

Sounds like me and my husband lol. No, your affidavit of support isn't needed during the initial filing. But one thing you have to remember is that you cant control how quick it will be adjudicated. If it gets immediately approved, what will you send as affidavit of support? The Philippines is extremely strict about co-sponsors. (I've read they dont allow it even). This is just something you should consider. Another thing, like Darnell said, is you need to check if you meet the income threshold. My husband is from California and is currently based in North Carolina too (USMC). He used his CA address for filing to make sure that someone will be home to receive all his mail since they kept moving him around different barracks.

Let's say I will be filing it March2015, and then it gets approved,how many weeks/months am I given to get back to them or start the next process? Is it really necessary to get a co sponsor for the initial filing? Because I intend not to have a co sponsor by July I can already prove that I can support him.

I will be using my brother's address here at NC so I'll be able to receive every mail.

Thanks!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Guatemala
Timeline

When you filed in April 2014 did she put any employment in the G-325A? How long did it take for the approval? Did she have a co sponsor?

Still having second thoughts on filing it now because i am unemployed and i did not file taxes of course.

I moved here in the US June2014, I lived permanently in the Philippines before but I am a US citizen. I worked less than a month in July2014 Here in US then after that I've been unemployed through present time, I focused on enlisting with the Navy.

Your wife and I will have similar situations if ever, coz I can provide my income in July2015 I will be a sailor by that time.

Thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts and experiences!

She typed down the previous employers, what i'm thinking that you could do is since you don't need the affidavit of support until the interview, if ya'll get approved before May, try to push the interview (we were able to pick the interview date) after May that way you can type down the Navy as your current employer (since you're going to be earning money since the first day of bootcamp).

We didn't have a co-sponsor, she's making roughly $24k a year on her own (the consular officer did say to me that since she haven't been working for a year, that she was going to ask us for a co-sponsor, but I told her that based on the research I had done, the letter of employment and the letter of why she didn't file taxes were good, she took all of the paperwork to her sup and the visa was approved.

2014-05-08 Sent I-129f
2014-05-12 I-129f received
2014-05-15 Received NOA1 email
2014-05-19 Received NOA1 hardcopy
2014-09-10 NOA2 Approved
2014-09-30 Package Left from NVC
2014-10-06 Received by Embassy
2014-10-31 Interview, Approved.
2014-11-03 Picked up visa.
2014-12-25 POE Ft. Lauderdale

2015-01-02 Wedding

---AOS---

2015-01-09 Filed I-485, I-131 and I-765

2015-01-12 AOS package received

2015-01-14 Email received: Case accepted and routed

2015-01-15 Check cashed

2015-01-20 Received NOAs in the mail

2015-02-07 Received Biometrics letter in the mail

2015-02-19 Biometrics Appt in Raleigh office.

2015-03-13 EAD and AP approved

2015-03-19 EAD and AP sent

2015-03-21 Received EAD/AP combo card

2015-03-26 Received 2nd Biometrics appointment for Charlotte office

2015-04-08 2nd Biometrics

2015-06-15 Received NPIW dated 06-11

2015-08-01 Green Card Approved

2015-08-03 Welcome Letter Mailed

2015-08-07 Welcome Letter Received

2015-08-22 Card Mailed

2015-08-26 Card Received

2015-11-20 Enlisted in the USMC

2016-02-16 Shipping date to bootcamp

Timeline

We were given 4months after approval to complete the requirements. Well I heard some could actually request for an extension if you can't complete the requirements till the posted deadline

Timeline

If I will be filing now, what will be the worst case scenario? Given that I am unemployed and will only be able to prove that I can support him on the month of May2015 (which is the start of my bootcamp) and I can have communication again by July2015.

Thank you everyone for the helpful informations!

Edited by vgabbie33

Timeline

If I will be filing now, what will be the worst case scenario? Given that I am unemployed and will only be able to prove that I can support him on the month of May2015 (which is the start of my bootcamp) and I can have communication again by July2015.

Thank you everyone for the helpful informations!

I'm pretty sure that you're nervous about his application and you feared that your unemployment history would cause any denial. You can get a co-sponsor if you're in doubt about it. Or if you're still unsure about the application then there's no need of rushing things and give it a little break.

Or you may want to do a little research, I've read one topic about the unemployment history and they actually waived it for providing proof that the petitioner is making enough already. I just can't exactly explain it to you, but that topic existed here in vj.

Timeline

I'm pretty sure that you're nervous about his application and you feared that your unemployment history would cause any denial. You can get a co-sponsor if you're in doubt about it. Or if you're still unsure about the application then there's no need of rushing things and give it a little break.

Or you may want to do a little research, I've read one topic about the unemployment history and they actually waived it for providing proof that the petitioner is making enough already. I just can't exactly explain it to you, but that topic existed here in vj.

Yes I really am nervous filing this k1 visa but based on my readings there's really a chance to work out this situation.

For the co-sponsor, do I need to include it together with the initial filing? (I-129F, G-325A and other documents).

Timeline

Yes I really am nervous filing this k1 visa but based on my readings there's really a chance to work out this situation.

For the co-sponsor, do I need to include it together with the initial filing? (I-129F, G-325A and other documents).

Nope, not during this stage.

You'll only be needing one during the interview phase (of your fiance) as he will be bringing evidences of the support along with the affidavit of support.

The US Embassy in the Philippines is very strict about accepting co-sponsors for K1 visa. It is a case by case basis and you will have a higher chance if the co-sponsor is a close relative. You do not need the affidavit of support on the initial filing. You can read more about what you actually need here --> http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

You can file now since you can delay up to a year after the approved petition leaves the NVC. The Embassy will automatically extend the petition validity 4 months at a time up to a year. Just don't do the medical yet if you're not ready with the required documents.

Timeline

Thanks everyone for patiently answering all my queries, hope you guys will have smooth processing with all your visa petitions/GC and finally be together with your love ones, God Bless!

I will share our k1 journey once we've started to file it, so it can help others too. ?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.