dburnt

taxes - help

2 posts in this topic

So, I worked until I left Canada August 28, 2014. I did not work in the USA. My permanent residency (i.e. Green Card) did not arrive until 2015. I retained some ties to Canada (utilities, bank accounts, etc.) throughout 2014. I will begin a pension sometime this year.

I know I need to file Canadian taxes (or I won't get credit for the RRSP contributions at the very least), but I honestly don't know how to answer half the questions. I consider myself a deemed resident of Canada for 2014, but it is asking questions about my husband's income, etc.

Do I need to file US taxes if I didn't work in the US? If I paid taxes in Canada, do I report income on US forms? Since my husband only works in the US, do I have to report his income on my Canadian taxes, especially since he was never there? I certainly don't want to get double taxed. Are there accountants who specialize in these kind of taxes?

I have always done my own taxes with no problems, but now I'm not even sure where to begin

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

You do seem to have a lot of questions and rightfully so. I can offer you this.. I am an American working in Canada and have to file taxes in both countries. The good news is that there is a large foreign income exemption when filing in the US. It's something like $89,000, so unless you're a big earner, you just file but don't have to pay anything to Uncle Sam.. I always use a professional to prepare my tax returns. Good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.