Jump to content

2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

So, I worked until I left Canada August 28, 2014. I did not work in the USA. My permanent residency (i.e. Green Card) did not arrive until 2015. I retained some ties to Canada (utilities, bank accounts, etc.) throughout 2014. I will begin a pension sometime this year.

I know I need to file Canadian taxes (or I won't get credit for the RRSP contributions at the very least), but I honestly don't know how to answer half the questions. I consider myself a deemed resident of Canada for 2014, but it is asking questions about my husband's income, etc.

Do I need to file US taxes if I didn't work in the US? If I paid taxes in Canada, do I report income on US forms? Since my husband only works in the US, do I have to report his income on my Canadian taxes, especially since he was never there? I certainly don't want to get double taxed. Are there accountants who specialize in these kind of taxes?

I have always done my own taxes with no problems, but now I'm not even sure where to begin

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

You do seem to have a lot of questions and rightfully so. I can offer you this.. I am an American working in Canada and have to file taxes in both countries. The good news is that there is a large foreign income exemption when filing in the US. It's something like $89,000, so unless you're a big earner, you just file but don't have to pay anything to Uncle Sam.. I always use a professional to prepare my tax returns. Good luck!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.