SPSguy

does Costa rica require a passport for entry or re entry permit ok?

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

No need to shake your head.. it's called a process of learning. AT the time of posting I had no answer. After some due diligence I learned a thing or two. Then more due diligence, and more things learned. One thing led to the next and led to the final answer.

BTW, We just returned from Costa Rica. Everything went painlessly well. My wife was able to re-enter the US easily and hassle free.

So there you have it folks, YES it is 100% possible to use a re entry permit as travel document to enter Costa Rica and re enter the United States.

I am rather surprised that being that you are from Costa Rica you should have known all this. Please, if you don't know the answer to a serious question as this, don't give the wrong answers. If I had listened to your response as conclusive, we would have lost opportunities. I'm not putting blames on your honest attempt to help, but a response without careful due diligence can be more damaging than a no response.

OMG, thank you very much for this post!! We are traveling to Costa Rica in a month and I also have re-entry permit, I don't have my passport because it's been taken away since I am a refugee. So I physically do not have passport. Just a question - did your wife get a visa that's been stamped to the re-entry permit prior her visit there or she just went with the permit and it was enough? Thank you!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

The OP hasn't logged on to VJ since March 2015.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Timeline

TBONE, I'm still here. Still married to the same wonderful girl I married almost ten years ago. :)

On OP's question,

"did your wife get a visa that's been stamped to the re-entry permit prior her visit there or she just went with the permit and it was enough?"

Upon enter Costa Rica immigration will ask to see your re entry permit. They will stamp an automatic 30 day visa on the re entry permit.

Hope this helps.

Go have fun in Costa Rica!

Edited by SPSguy

**** filed K3/CR1 concurrently. My wife and I both work/live overseas. The following timeline continues from the approval of the K3 VISA.

Our journey
http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=115855

NVC rec'd 130/ assigned case# 5-15-08
Called to request online payment ID# 5-18-08
Rec'd ds 3032/AOS bill by USPS 5-19-08
Rec'd email Online ID# for payment of AOS and DS3032 5-21-08
Returned ds 3032 by USPS during wife visit to U.S. on K3--5-29-09
Paid AOS online: 7-05-09 ( While in Cambodia )
Rec'd email to pay IV bill 7-7-09
Paid IV bill online 7-08-09
Mailed I-864 2-16-10
I- 864 delivered 2-18-10
Mailed DS 230 2-22-10
Ds 230 delivered 2-24-10
AVR says "NVC is awaiting biographic info from petitioner" 2-24-10
AVR says, "NVC has received the info checklist requested." NVC HAS ENTERED DS-230 INTO COMPUTER 3-01-10
SIF: 3-08-10
AVR Case Complete: 3-09-10
Rec'd interview email/date: 3-15-10
Medical: 4-09-10
INTERVIEW( less than 5 minutes ): 4-26-10 APPROVED
Pickup Visa: 4-30-10
POE: LAX 5/31/10
Overnight REENTRY Permit app: 6/01/10
Rec'd SS: 6-10-10
Rec'd Welcome to USA Letter + Green Card Tracking #: 6-14-10
Rec'd NOA1 letter + receipt # for reentry permit: 6-14-10
Rec'd 10 Yr. GC: 6-21-10
Rec'd Bio appt for reentry permit 7-18-10 but changed to 6-28-10 thru INFOpass: 6-25-10
REentry touches: 9-6-10, 9-29-10, 10-4-10
Rec'd email Reentry mailed 10-07-10
Rec'd reentry permit 10-09-10 ( 4 mths 1 wk )

Naturalized 04/2016

Received US Passport 05/2016

• 1 year later...

Original Poster,

I would like to thank you for documenting your experience here and updating this post! It has been incredibly useful for me. There is so much conflicting information out there. I wanted to thank you (if you are still here), and share my upcoming experience with the same issue for others on the same boat.

Background: My husband was brought to the US at the age of 5, with a visa, from Venezuela. He later became a DACA recipient. We decided to speed up our marriage plans due to Trump getting elected. He is now a legal resident. 

Like your wife, he is unable to renew his Venezuelan passport in the US given that he is missing his "cedula" from Venezuela, which must be issued in that country, not in any embassy or consulate abroad, at the age of 9.  Since he never got this, and of course, cannot risk going to Venezuela given the current political climate, we thought we would have to wait the 3 years for him to become a US citizen and then get a US passport. 

With the help of a friend, we heard of using a re-entry permit as a valid travel document. We have confirmed with lawyers that this may be used in place of a passport. We have applied for it and have been using IATA to verify the aviation and immigration validity of it all. We are also traveling to Costa Rica, where my in-laws now live. 

Current Status: We mailed the I-131 on Thursday, 01/04/2018, and it was delivered on Saturday 01/06/2018. Expecting receipt notification anytime soon. 

Our Next Steps: Contact the Costa Rican consulate and ask about any additional documentation or preparation needed for our trip in addition to the Re-Entry Permit and Green Card. 

I will post an update for the following items:

• Total I-131 timeline
  • Costa Rica Consulate Experience (in Chicago)
  • Booking Flight + Calling airline to add special note re: permit
  • Entry Experience
  • Exit/US Re-entry Experience

Thank you once again OP :) I am very grateful. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.