southernchic

validity of overseas marriages

4 posts in this topic

With all of the news coverage about Anna Nicole Smith and her marriage to her lawyer in the Bahamas, the news media keeps saying that her marriage may not have been valid.

I don't know the details but its raised questions in my mind. If you are married overseas is there something that must be done to "validate" a marriage once the spouse is in the US?? Clearly, my husband's here and everything but I just wanted to know if there are any additional forms to fill out or if we have to also get married in the states to make sure its 100% valid. Forgive me if this question sounds dumb but I just gotta know if I missed something.

Also best wishes to those whose spouses have recently arrived in the US.

6/2004 - Met Ethiopia (I was there on business). Spent two days together.

2004 - 05 - Fell in love

8/05 - Visited Ethiopia

9/05 - GOT MARRIED!!!

I-130

12/21/05 - Mailed I-130

12/27/05 - Rcv'd NOA1

I-129F (K-3)

01/22/06 - Mailed in I-129F

1/29/06 - I-129F Rcvd

02/02/05 - Recvd NOA1

3/24/06 - K-3 application approved - mailed to NVC

3/29/06 - Recvd I-797 NOA 2 via mail (less than 60 days)

4/06 - Recv'd letter from NVC

4/06 - Found out that there was a mixup at the Embassy - Somehow they didn't have his mailing address

5/2/06 - Husband meets with officials at Ethiopian Embassy - Recv'd Packet 4 (instructions for visa)

5/12/06 - Send affidavit of support, evidence of relationship via DHL to Sultan in Addis

5/16/06 - DHL arrives in Addis

5/18/06 - US Embassy told him he would get a same day interview when he submits his visa app (w/medical, police, affidavit of support, and proof of relationship)

5/23/06 - Submits his visa application. ITS APPROVED!!!!!!

5/24/06 - Picks up his passport and visa envelope.

6/26/06 - Arrives in the US!!!!

EAD

7/22/06 - Mailed EAD form

8/24/06 - NOA arrives in the mail

9/7/06 - Biometrics Appointment

10/03/06 - Work Authorization Card Arrives!!!

10/4/06 - Applied for SSN

10/17/06 - SSN Arrives in the Mail!!

11/21/06 - First Day at Work.

Filed: Timeline

There is theoretically nothing left to do, but I think that you can take your marriage liscence to your county clerk and get a US liscence issued too, although I know that legally you cannot marry again here as you are already legally married. I think anna nicole is being questioned because she was not there in the country for the alotted amount of time before getting married and she was illegally seeking domicile there as a resident and bogusly gained citizenship by paying a judge or something so she couldnt be extridited back to the US for paternity testing

.png

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
With all of the news coverage about Anna Nicole Smith and her marriage to her lawyer in the Bahamas, the news media keeps saying that her marriage may not have been valid.

I don't know the details but its raised questions in my mind. If you are married overseas is there something that must be done to "validate" a marriage once the spouse is in the US?? Clearly, my husband's here and everything but I just wanted to know if there are any additional forms to fill out or if we have to also get married in the states to make sure its 100% valid. Forgive me if this question sounds dumb but I just gotta know if I missed something.

Also best wishes to those whose spouses have recently arrived in the US.

Once there is proof of the marriage, no one can doubt it. It becomes questionable when no evidence of marriage is forth coming. Marriage anywhere under the sun is valid once there is documentary proof.

Filed: Timeline

In Anna Nicole Smith's case, they kept saying it was a Commitment Ceremony.

I was married in Accra, Ghana and when I came home, I called the Registrar's office and was told that the marriage is legal and recognized in the USA. However, the DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) would not accept my marriage certificate to change my name on my drivers license (they tried to say I had to "register" the marriage in with the Registrar). Social Security and the US Department of State (passport) took it with no problem. Now I have to take my passport with me next time to change my name on the drivers license.

Sent I130 September 23, 2004

Approved January 5, 2005

Interview date July 21, 2005

Told to pick up visa October 2005, but no visa issued.

Case went missing for six months - from October 2005 through April 2006

Emailed Embassy constantly, sent letter directly to director of Embassy by fax and snail mail

Response received April 2006 from Director - full of inaccuracies, but placed my husband's name on list to enter Embassy.

Husband entered Embassy in late April - told case worker working on our case quit, they were short staffed so no one touched our case; told to return in July 2006 to pick up visa.

July 2006 - no visa issued still, told case went to US for secondary approval.

August 2006 - US said case was approved in January 2005 and they did not have it.

September, October, November and December 2006, Embassy kept insisting they did not have our case. I emailed EVERY day until finally, response said my husband was called on the phone to pick the visa up six months earlier. My husband has NEVER been called on the phone by the Embassy.

Told to come pick up visa January 19 - said the "Ghanaians who print the visas didn't print them"

Changed date on blue slip and told to come back. Finally received the visa February 2, 2007.

THANK GOD!

Arriving in USA very very soon and I can't wait!!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.