woffles

N-400 - have a few questions on the form

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi all,

I'm almost done with filling out my N-400 but am unsure about a couple of points. I'd like to get some clarification to avoid any errors. If I could get any advice that would be great please.

Page 2, section 8: Country of Birth/Country of citizenship. Should I put what it says on my birth certificate? (Unsure about United Kingdom vs. England vs. Great Britain).

Page 17, question 39 (and other similar questions): where these questions say 'if you are currently a member of the armed forces...' If I am not, do I leave it blank or check no? I would assume leave it blank but I'm not 100% sure.

Page 17, section 11, question 7: Are you a male who lived in the united states at any time between your 18th and 26th birthdays? I did, but I do not recall ever hearing anything about selective service. I came on a K-1 visa and now have a green card. I am now over 26, and assuming I did not register, it asks me to provide a statement explaining why I did not register and a status information letter from the selective service. I don't fully understand this part of the form, and am unsure how to proceed. If I need to write a statement I am not sure what to say, aside from I was not aware that I had to register. If it was all part of the normal process then I probably did register, I just don't remember.

thank you for any help or advice.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi all,

I'm almost done with filling out my N-400 but am unsure about a couple of points. I'd like to get some clarification to avoid any errors. If I could get any advice that would be great please.

Page 2, section 8: Country of Birth/Country of citizenship. Should I put what it says on my birth certificate? (Unsure about United Kingdom vs. England vs. Great Britain).

Page 17, question 39 (and other similar questions): where these questions say 'if you are currently a member of the armed forces...' If I am not, do I leave it blank or check no? I would assume leave it blank but I'm not 100% sure.

Page 17, section 11, question 7: Are you a male who lived in the united states at any time between your 18th and 26th birthdays? I did, but I do not recall ever hearing anything about selective service. I came on a K-1 visa and now have a green card. I am now over 26, and assuming I did not register, it asks me to provide a statement explaining why I did not register and a status information letter from the selective service. I don't fully understand this part of the form, and am unsure how to proceed. If I need to write a statement I am not sure what to say, aside from I was not aware that I had to register. If it was all part of the normal process then I probably did register, I just don't remember.

thank you for any help or advice.

1- Put down whatever is on the birth certificate.

2- Yes, leave blank.

3- If you are a male and you came here on an immigrant visa between 18 and 26, then you should have registered. Knowingly failing to register makes you ineligible for naturalization until the age of 31 (or 29 if applying based on marraige). So depending on how old you are now, you may have some explaining to do at your interview. It is quite difficult to demonstrate that you didn't know that you had to register for selective service because it is stated in the welcome packet that you got with your green card and it is on the adjustment of status application that you signed. Most people don't pay much attention to it, so you're not the only one. The first thing you need to do is check the selective service website to see if you were automatically registered. If you don't find your name, call them or write to them and ask for a status letter - the website is not always accurate. I can tell you that more than half the people on here who think they didn't register find out that they were automatically registered at some point. If you really are not registered and are under 31, then you'll have to try your luck at the interview; I've read about one person get approved after writing a letter of explanation (I'm not sure what he explained since he signed a paper saying that he understood the requirement; we all did) and I've read about 2 or 3 people who were rejected and told to reapply after they turn 31.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Filed: Timeline

Thank you so much.

I dug through all my paperwork again and found a registration card with my selective service number on it. I tried the SS website but it had no record of me on there. I will call them on Monday to see if they can look me up.

I really appreciate the help, thank you again!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I ran into one more question actually... In the area where it asks you to list how many times you and your spouse have been married, do you include your current marriage in this or is it only previous marriages? I would assume the current one counts.

The current one counts.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.