georgiapolly

Confused filling in I-864 for my parents

4 posts in this topic

HI there! I have petitioned for my parents, and am now completing the AOS for each of them. I guess my first question is, did I figure that right? as I petitioned for each, and they each have their own case number etc, even though it allowed me to pay one $120 fee, I need an AOS package for each of them, I can't just put them both on one form right? so i'll do a I-864 and I-864a (my husband) with supporting evidence, for each case.

Second question... I am a housewife and have no income currently, so the plan is to complete the I-864a with my husband's income. As we file our taxes jointly, should I still check the box in part 6 that says I have filed a federal tax return for 3 years? and in the next part where it asks me to list my income as shown on the tax return for 3 years, I just put 0 as we entered on our tax return? (dumb question I know)

Third question, we haven't done our tax return for this past year yet though obviously we will soon... is it still okay to list most recent year as 2013?

Thanks in advance for your help and insight!!

Polly xx

You said your tax return is a joint return with your husband? Then that is your tax return. So YES you have filed the last three years if there was a joint return in 2011, 2012, 2013. The numbers to write in the blanks comes exactly copied off Line 22 on Form 1040 of the joint tax return. You don't make up some calculated number not on your tax return.

Your personal income ($0) is reported on Part 6 #5 of the I-864.

2013 tax return is considered most recent until April 15. If you sign and submit the I-864 prior to that date you may use 2013 as most recent. If you get your taxes done soon, the you may include 2014.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

You said your tax return is a joint return with your husband? Then that is your tax return. So YES you have filed the last three years if there was a joint return in 2011, 2012, 2013. The numbers to write in the blanks comes exactly copied off Line 22 on Form 1040 of the joint tax return. You don't make up some calculated number not on your tax return.

Your personal income ($0) is reported on Part 6 #5 of the I-864.

2013 tax return is considered most recent until April 15. If you sign and submit the I-864 prior to that date you may use 2013 as most recent. If you get your taxes done soon, the you may include 2014.

Thanks Nick, i'm digging out the tax documents now... i'm still a bit confused though, because line 22 shows our "combined income" as we file jointly, and of course that shows my husband's earnings... but i'm having him complete an I-864a as i dont have any income... so won't it look odd to show an amount in that box, and I guess also on his form too? or will they know that the figure i'm quoting reflects a joint filing?

Thanks Nick, i'm digging out the tax documents now... i'm still a bit confused though, because line 22 shows our "combined income" as we file jointly, and of course that shows my husband's earnings... but i'm having him complete an I-864a as i dont have any income... so won't it look odd to show an amount in that box, and I guess also on his form too? or will they know that the figure i'm quoting reflects a joint filing?

I took it literally as wanting to know what MY tax return had on it. One of mine was a joint return with a different husband than the immigrant husband I was filling out I-864 for. It was way over $100,000 more than I was reporting as my current income. But that was MY tax return for that year. I didn't have another. I copied the number straight from Line 22 and even submitted that return so they knew it was with a different husband. Never hear a peep from them questioning it.

If your name and signature is on that tax return, then that is your tax return. The form is kind of one size fits all, but they specifically ask for a number as reported off your tax return. Total Income (found on Line 22).

You clarify your own income in Part6 #5 and you will add to your husband's own income to yours in Part 6#6c. Your husband will be Person 1 (6abc) on your form. Total family income will be on Part 6 #10.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.