AOD132

221(g) form given for CR1 Visa

7 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hello all,

I had my interview on 20th Feb at Mumbai Consulate.

The CO started the interview with asking me about my previous profession (I am an Ex-army officer)

At that point he looked at his computer screen and immediately put back the document which stated to pay the Green Card money and its details.

I got asked very few details about the marriage and relationship and he saw just a few pictures of the wedding.

Next he took out the infamous 221(g) form and handed it over.

He said "Everything looks fine with your case sir, Just you need to fill out the details in this form".

The details asked are really stupid as they ask for funding, itinerary, "Invitation", Research etc

All of these details are already there in the I-130 (are they not reading it??)

Also I had got the 221(g) form 2 times before when I had applied for a Tourist Visa.(Assuming because I was serving in the Army then)

I asked him this time why am I getting this form again and his reply was because I had got it earlier 2 times therefore a 3rd time again.

Anyway has anybody has any such (bad) experience and what steps did you take and what is the general timeline for this AP to be done with?

Thank you everybody

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Hi there, from your posting, it appears that this time around, you're applying to migrate to the U.S. On a CR1 category green card and during the interview, you were given a 221(g) slip.

Was your passport returned back to you? What was the color of your 221(g) slip? What documents are they requesting from you (the reason they're not issuing you a CR1 visa)?

I know that when my wife went in for the interview at the Mumbai consulate, the CO asked her to provide documents that we'd already provided when we filed for I130. It's not unusual for them to ask for the documents again at the interview.

If you have the documents already, then take them with you to the interview, if not, ask your spouse to send them to you (the latest copies) asap. Also, some members have noted that if spouse accompanies CR1 application to the interview, it helps with the case. But I'm not sure if US citizen spouses are allowed for the interview at Mumbai consulate.

Finally, I had gotten a 221(g)when I migrated to the U.S. Several decades ago. The 221(g) was issued because my birth certificate was missing. In my follow up interview, they only asked for the birth certificate and issued me the visa.

My 2 cents.... Good luck friend!

Edited by Trina & Raja

Timeline

Thank you for replying

I have already had my interview and they did not take my passport. I asked if they would call me for an interview again and the CO said no.

The slip given to me is white in color and the documents asked from me are not pertaining to anything regarding my marriage or personal information.

They have asked for Research, Position, Funding, Travel dates and references.

I am assuming they gave me the 221(g) because I was serving in the army but its just a guess.

Timeline

It could be that, but my wife's uncle, who was a career Indian Navy person was granted a 10 year multiple entry visa. The difference is he was in his 60s and was honorably discharged (retired) before he applied for his visa.

Now, I get the funding (as in how will your spouse support you once you reach US soil), travel dates (dates when you and your spouse travelled, met each other etc.) and reference (get a few relatives and friends to attest that they were present at the wedding) part, but not sure what research and position means and what sort of documents they require to satisfy these requirements.

Timeline

Also, from reading some other posts,it sounds like your refusal was for lack of documentation and not for administrative processing. So, I'd suggest that you try to find out EXACTLY what documents will satisfy the 5 missing criteria by contacting the consulate and try to send them the documents. Your case will remain open for one year from the date of 221(g) date by when you need to supply them the documents.

Good luck again!

Timeline

In regards to the documents that asks the required information each and every document from Invitation, My discharge certificate from the army, and the Affidavit of support is complete in all aspects.

There is no question of lack of financial support as my spouse is a practising doctor and is well above the poverty line defined.

Also during my previous 2 instances of getting a 221(g) the same exact questions were asked and I had replied the same exact answers.

Instead of the consulate I asked the CO directly as to what answers he wanted on this 221(g) as its already mentioned in the !-130, and all i got in response was that just fill in whatever you had filled in last time around.

Only conclusion i can draw is that i am being given this form because i got it before while I was serving and even though I am now discharged I am still getting it for the same reason.

Timeline

From all the reading that I've done, for now you need to resubmit all these documents again specified in the 221(g) note (I know it's a pain in the a$$) to the US consulate office. If they approve your petition, then good otherwise, they'll have to give you a written reason for denial. Of course, they can give you another 221(g) if they need more documents from you...

Unlike your tourist visa application from before, IF they are attempting to reject your CR1 application, the case will be sent back to USCIS office in the US. Your spouse will then have the opportunity to appeal the decision and would potentially want to get a lawyer involved.

Best of luck and sorry that you've had to spend so much time away from your spouse. I know how that felt!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.