ThinkerBelle

First time visa application, please help.

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Me and my bf have been together for over a year now, he is going back to the states soon as he is retiring from active duty in the military. We both want to spend the holidays in the US on December and I will be staying with him and he will shoulder my tickets for the trip. So far talks of marriage is still up in the air due to other priorities.

I have looked into visa requirements and factors that may cause denial, so I would like to get some calrification on certain things:

1. I am from the Philippines but I work overseas in a hospital so I will be applying for my US visa at the US embassy in my current country of residence. How do I prove that I have all the intention of leaving the US after December? How to prove have ties in the Philippines? I have a mortgage that I pay back in the Philippines; My family lives there, I have a job overseas and have just renewed my contract. Will these be enough? What documents do I need to show during the interview?

2. How much money do I need to have saved up to show that I have enough funds for the trip? Or will it be okay that I let them know my boyfriend will cover everything? My concern is they might think Im going to the US to marry my boyfriend since I will be staying with him.

3. How long does it usually take to apply for a tourist visa? Because if and when I will be granted one, I might schedule my professional licensure exam in the US when I get there on December.

I hope our forum members can shed light on my queries. Thanks in advance.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I think the biggest hurdle you will have is the CO will think you are going to USA to marry your boyfriend and stay there and try to adjust. But I would apply and see what happens.

You are issued a Tourist VIsa based on your merits and money, telling them your bf will shoulder the cost might be a bad thing.

Are you trying to sit for NCLEX exam? and if so what state?

Filed: Timeline

I think the biggest hurdle you will have is the CO will think you are going to USA to marry your boyfriend and stay there and try to adjust. But I would apply and see what happens.

You are issued a Tourist VIsa based on your merits and money, telling them your bf will shoulder the cost might be a bad thing.

Are you trying to sit for NCLEX exam? and if so what state?

That's exactly what I am worried about. Definitely not planning to get married yet. Just wanna spend the holidays together... I am looking at New York state for my license as thats where he is from and its where we both agreed to "someday settle in"...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.