Henley1989

Experience vs Degree

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Slovenia
Timeline

I`m chasing CR1 visa, already married :luv:

I don`t see nothing bad about entry level job for a start, why not. For me it is important to start working as soon as possible, getting US work experience, see how the system works, etc.

I think that if you are good at what you are doing you can get promotion. Also meanwhile you can search for better $ job....

N-400 Timeline
04/02/19 N-400 Submitted online
04/22/19 Biometrics
11/05/19 Interview (Approved)

ROC Timeline

Service Center: California

08/11/17 I-751 Packet delivered to USCIS

09/18/17 Biometrics Appointment

08/17/18 2nd extension letter (additional 6 months)

11/02/18 New card is being  produced (Approved)

NVC
11-04-2014 NVC case receive

05-20-2015 Visa received

10-06-2015 Time to kick back and let it fly

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

This is true and I agree, just having worked your way up over 6 years, it does feel a bit demoting to go back to the bottom, but I might not have a choice. You are right, it gives me time to adapt, but I would still prefer to find a mid senior level role. I guess time will tell.

Cheers

Timeline

Who wouldn't:)

N-400 Timeline
04/22/19 Biometrics

ROC Timeline

NVC

05-20-2015 Visa received

Good recruiters will do skills-based testing and send you the results.

Also here in Cali, a lot of jobs are done through networks like Linked-In - get your clients to add recommendations once you have created your LinkedIn-In profile. it serves as your self-marketing bio with public references - have found that VERY helpful!

Also, I have found, (contrary to the advice of may recruiters) that keeping your resume in more of a UK format actually helps you stand out from the crowd and will get you noticed more than if you make it the standard US template. In this market, you need to do something to make yourself stand out over your competition!

When I was unemployed, (due to reduction in force) I applied for 560 jobs, got 56 interviews and was offered 5 jobs, all professional and all earning between $50000 and $74000 - all of which the job description stated degree required!

Edited by perfect

OUR TIMELINE

K1 VISA & MARRIAGE - 8 MONTHS

17 February 2004 Sent I-129F petition CSC - It was APPROVED in 147 days

3 September 2004 INTERVIEW IN LONDON SUCCESSFUL VISA APPROVED! MARRIED OCTOBER 16, 2004

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS - 5 MONTHS

4 January 2005 - Submitted applications for AOS and EAD - 12 May 2005 Conditional Permanent Residency Approved - interview in Santa Ana

4 June 2005 CPR 2-year Green Card arrives in mail

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS - 3½ MONTHS

8 May 2007 - I-751 sent to CSC - 23 August 2007 - Approved - Card production ordered

30 August 2007 - 10 year Green Card received

K2 TIMELINE (Stayed behind in UK to finish school)

28 March 2005 - embassy interview & medical London - visa granted

01/18/06 Applications for AOS/EAD sent - 03/28/06 EAD approved

4/3/06 - RFE for AOS - requested new medical and vacc supplement

4/26/06 - approved without interview and welcome letter sent

05/02/2006 - Greencard arrives in mail

03/14/08 - Petition to Remove Conditions mailed to CSC delivered - 7/2/08 APPROVED

NATURALIZATION TIMELINE (for myself and son) 5 MONTHS

April 18, 2011 - N-400 Applications Mailed to AZ lockbox

April 21 (received April 25) NOAs

May 12 - FP Letters mailed

May 16 - Received FP appointment letters for June 8 at 11am

August 1 - Interview - approved for Oath Ceremony - OATH CEREMONY 28 SEPTEMBER

Timeline

@Perfect: thanx for the info about CA and LinkedIn....interesting stuff... I have already started my profile:)

N-400 Timeline
04/22/19 Biometrics

ROC Timeline

NVC

05-20-2015 Visa received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thanks for that. I created my Linkedin Profile at the beginning of my career and I built up 10+ recommendations over the years so thats good for my profile.

Ive been working on Americanising my CV into a resume, as I thought that would be something I have to do. Perhaps I might keep a CV copy too! its a bit of a risk applying with a CV. Not too sure which one I would choose.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.