Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

I864 and I864A forms and petitioner's docs

1 post in this topic

Recommended Posts

It's been a while since I visited VJ, so feels like I'm back to 2011 (when I was dealing with the paperwork for my wife).

Now I got different situation. One of my friends has asked me for the help to walk through the IR-5 process (she's sponsoring her parents, both mom and dad).

She has a case (petition) opened by USCIS and now we're collecting paper work for the NVC's stage. I took a look at docs required at NVC and now we're doing AOS (affidavit of support).

Her both cases are being proceeded for Madrid, Spain (MDD).

I got some questions.

1. What goes first: AOS or DS-260? I know from my past experience, AOS comes first, then DS-260 with the supporting docs. But the NVC's site says about DS-260 (Submit Visa Form Application) first, then AOS.

2. Which tax year is considered for the immigration purpose: 2013 or 2014 in terms of IRS transcripts/1040?

3. The petitioner is unemployed (they have 2 kids), her husband only works. They do joint tax return.

Based on http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/Step_4_Collect_Financial_Documents.html their before tax income (considering 2 kids as family members) is below poverty line.

It looks like, she'll need a co-sponsor (since her husband's income has been already included in joint 1040). Correct?

4. Under the section for petiioner's docs (for IR-5) http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/Supporting_documents.html it asks for originals/certified copies of: birth certificate and marriage certificate. Both those docs are in Ukrainian. Does she still have to send to the NVC her Ukrainian originals? Certified copies are not available for Ukraine (according to the NVC's site).

Do these originals need to be sent along with the translation? And also there's no guarantee that NVC won't loose it (I've heard about these situations in the past). So it's kinda scary to send these docs out. Is it possible to contact NVC and ask for the copies? Or what's the other way to work it out?

So far these are the most critical questions which I'm trying to get answer/help for.

Any help/inputs would be highly appreciated.

Thank you, guys.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.