Nathanmelon

Affidavit process for no birth certificate (tokyo embassy)

1 post in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

My fiancé has no way to procure a birth certificate from her birth country (Laos) which the embassy listed as one of the documents they need from us. So we have started the affidavit process hoping that the tokyo embassy (she is a permanent resident of japan now) will accept this instead of a birth certificate.

I typed up 2 separate affidavits, one for her father stating his witness of her birth, and one for her mother stating that she did in fact give birth to her. They are both very detailed for all family involved in the witness and they both make it clear that in 1983 Laos, birth certificates were not customary.

Now I just need some guidance on how to have them notarized to the embassy's liking. I am not fluent in Japanese or Lao so they are in english. However if they are going to be notarized in an official setting in Japan they will likely need to be in Japanese. So my plan is to mail my fiancé the affidavits that I have typed, have her take them to a government sponsored translation office to have them officially translated into Japanese. Then they would go and complete the notary at the city courthouse, keep that original copy, and then have it officially translated back to english for the embassy. We would then mail those documents along with her school record, re-entry permit (a passport issued to non-citizen permanent residents of Japan), ds-230 part 1, and residency card.

This is the method that I have come up with but it seems a little complex. If anyone has any experience in dealing with the Tokyo embassy and the "no birth certificate process," I would really appreciate it, especially if you know a more efficient way to fulfill this requirement.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.