Jump to content

Affidavit process for no birth certificate (tokyo embassy)

1 post in this topic

Recommended Posts

My fiancé has no way to procure a birth certificate from her birth country (Laos) which the embassy listed as one of the documents they need from us. So we have started the affidavit process hoping that the tokyo embassy (she is a permanent resident of japan now) will accept this instead of a birth certificate.

I typed up 2 separate affidavits, one for her father stating his witness of her birth, and one for her mother stating that she did in fact give birth to her. They are both very detailed for all family involved in the witness and they both make it clear that in 1983 Laos, birth certificates were not customary.

Now I just need some guidance on how to have them notarized to the embassy's liking. I am not fluent in Japanese or Lao so they are in english. However if they are going to be notarized in an official setting in Japan they will likely need to be in Japanese. So my plan is to mail my fiancé the affidavits that I have typed, have her take them to a government sponsored translation office to have them officially translated into Japanese. Then they would go and complete the notary at the city courthouse, keep that original copy, and then have it officially translated back to english for the embassy. We would then mail those documents along with her school record, re-entry permit (a passport issued to non-citizen permanent residents of Japan), ds-230 part 1, and residency card.

This is the method that I have come up with but it seems a little complex. If anyone has any experience in dealing with the Tokyo embassy and the "no birth certificate process," I would really appreciate it, especially if you know a more efficient way to fulfill this requirement.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.