serrld113

Live separately because of College

3 posts in this topic

I'm gathering everything to submit the i-751.

So I have a weird situation...I got into a university in state that is 7 hours away from where we originally applied for adjustment of status. Because of work and a bit of a language barrier on my husband's side, we decided that I would move to the university's city while he stayed back at home. The problem is our leasing agreements. When I moved he moved to a cheaper place so we could afford a student housing place for me to stay. We agreed that adding each other in our respective leasing agreements would add unnecessary inquiries on each other’s credit reports. So now we have 4 leasing agreements without each other's names for the last 2 years.

My question is whether I need to submit all 4 leasing agreements plus the one for when we actually lived together. We also have several discrepancies with our addresses. For example, we have filed jointly our tax returns using my mother in law's home address since that's as "permanent" of an address as we've had. We have no lease for this address and neither does my mother in law.

I've written a letter that I'll add to the application stating all this.

This is what I'm submitting with my application:

- Personal Check in the amount of $590 for Form I-751 and Biometrics fee

- USCIS Form I-1751 filing jointly

- Front and back copy of Permanent Resident Card

- Evidence of the relationship

o Copy of marriage certificate

o IRS Tax transcript for 2012

o IRS Tax transcript for 2013

o xxxx Internet Account Life Insurance policy for Conditional Resident Alien showing spouse as primary beneficiary

o Bank Statements for the following dates:

§ November 20, 2014 to December 22, 2014

§ August 22, 2014 to September 22, 2014

§ March 22, 2014 to April 22, 2014

§ December 21, 2013 to January, 23 2014

§ August 23, 2013 to September 20, 2013

§ January 24, 2013 to February 20, 2013

§ July 24, 2012 to August 23, 2012

o Website printout of Discover card account showing spouse as authorized user

- Evidence of attending xxxxx University

I know it's not much but we're still in our early 20s trying to get our lives together.

• 2 weeks later...

You could add the following:

- Copy of DL (you two)

- Letter explaining your leasing agreement situation. Explain in detail and provide evidence. You can add landlords requirements for the leasing.

- Letter from your mother explaining that you guys used that address as the "permanent" address.

- Evidence of sharing time at each address (pictures, mail, university events together)

- Copy of receipts of places you stay together during breaks, vacation (hotels, restaurants- that show your names)

- Pictures of you both with dates and explaining who are in the pictures. Suggestion: Pictures with each others family, friends, selfies, etc.

- Original affidavits from at least 2 relative/friends that know you two since the GC was granted. Make sure that the statement is attached with evidence. For example, if the relative states that he/she visited you provide copy of flight tickets/hotel receipts/pictures with you both. It'd be beneficial to have the affidavits notarized as optional.

- Joint bills (phone, etc.)

- Copy of joint credit cards

- Copy of joint cards

- Copy of greeting cards from relatives.

- Copy of love letters you have shared for anniversary.

- Copy of receipts from events you have attended together (concerts, movies, plays)

You need to provide as much as you can. I added EVERYTHING I could add. Take your time to analyze everything you provide and think how the agent would think.

The more assess and responsibilities together the better. Evidence is the most important part of your packet because it will answer the agents questions. This will help skip the interview because you have answer all the possible questions.

Again, each case is different!

I wish you the BEST!

Edited by lunaboriken

11/17/2011- Sent AOS packet
12/15/2011- Received AOS packet
01/03/2012- Received NOA 1
02/07/2012- Biometrics
03/17/2012- Transfer to Missouri
04/25/2012- Transfer to Vermont
10/23/2012- Transfer to CSC
12/01/2012- AOS interview
12/03/2012- AOS approved- email notice
12/07/2012- Received Conditional GC-2014

09/04/2014- Sent I-751
09/09/2014- NOA1
09/13/2014- NOA2 for Biometrics
10/01/2014- Biometrics app
01/05/2015- ROC approval/card production
01/08/2015- Received letter in the mail of approval
01/09/2015- GC sent by 3-Day Priority Mail
01/10/2015- Received renewed card in the mail

09/04/2015- Eligible to apply for N-400 based on 3 year rule
#/#/##- N-400 sent
#/#/##- N-400 delivered
#/#/##- NOA1 received
#/#/##- Biometrics
#/#/##- Interview
#/#/##- Oath letter
#/#/##- Oath ceremony

Also you could add:

- Copy of credit card statement

- Letter explaining your relationship during the period where you attended school and your future plans.

For example, my spouse attended a 1 year intense program at another town. So we added a letter explaining that we would meet every month during the weekends, breaks and whenever it was possible. We added hotel receipts where we stayed. We added pictures of events we shared together. We also explained that when I went over I would stay at his dorm. We also explained why my spouse didn't change his address for the USCIS records. (this last point is very important).

For my affidavits, I requested one from my spouse's part of the family and one from my side of the family and a common friend. We had two notarized with signatures and two not notarized. All of the affidavits were supported with printed evidence of everything stated.

Again, I wish you the best!

11/17/2011- Sent AOS packet
12/15/2011- Received AOS packet
01/03/2012- Received NOA 1
02/07/2012- Biometrics
03/17/2012- Transfer to Missouri
04/25/2012- Transfer to Vermont
10/23/2012- Transfer to CSC
12/01/2012- AOS interview
12/03/2012- AOS approved- email notice
12/07/2012- Received Conditional GC-2014

09/04/2014- Sent I-751
09/09/2014- NOA1
09/13/2014- NOA2 for Biometrics
10/01/2014- Biometrics app
01/05/2015- ROC approval/card production
01/08/2015- Received letter in the mail of approval
01/09/2015- GC sent by 3-Day Priority Mail
01/10/2015- Received renewed card in the mail

09/04/2015- Eligible to apply for N-400 based on 3 year rule
#/#/##- N-400 sent
#/#/##- N-400 delivered
#/#/##- NOA1 received
#/#/##- Biometrics
#/#/##- Interview
#/#/##- Oath letter
#/#/##- Oath ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.