Mrs. DK

Photo sizes? (In Japan)

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Japan
Timeline

Ok so NVC is asking for a photos that's 50x50mm and measurement 25 to 35mm from the top of the hair to the bottom of the chin. I live in Japan and they have photos boots specifically for passport and other important documents. There's no 50x50mm photos available at all! The closest is the passport photo, which is 45x35mm which is smaller, but the head size (from the top of the hair to the bottom of the chin) is perfect. Will this photo be ok? I don't want to take my own photo and edit it online because I'm afraid of messing it up. If you live in Japan then you most likely know what I am talking about. Can I get any advice? Thanks!

Edited by Mrs. DK

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I've never been to Japan but I would suggest that you ask the U.S embassy for places they know prints acceptable sizes, or visit a professional photo centre and have them reprint the standard passport photo from your country in the required dimensions I think they should be able to do that with ease it might just cost you a little bit extra.

12/24/2014.................forms i130, i485, i765, i131 mailed via usps12/26/2014.................forms delivered01/05/2015.................NOA1 for all forms wth 26th dec as priority date01/24/2015.................bio apt received for 02/0601/26/2015................. walk in bio failed, supervisor said that the office is way to busy to come back closer to my apt date02/06/2015................. completed biometrics02/11/2015.................Aos status update 'case is ready to be scheduled for an interview'<p>02/24/2015................EAD updated to 'card in production' AP updated to case approved

09/17/2015....... interview scheduled for OCT 21st.

10/21/2015....... attended interview, approved on the spot, also received updates on case status.

10/23/2015...... green card mailed

Timeline

Every good photo studio can print the potos in the size you need. Even in Japan their can cut it like you need it :rolleyes:

First of all, that eye rolling emoticon is unnecessary, 2nd, it is easier and faster to take it at the photo booth (they're everywhere) especially for busy people like me, 3rd, there aren't a lot of photo studios in Japan especial in the country side, so it'll require me to drive, and I don't drive. I can have someone drive me, but that means making a schedule, and I'm usually not home from 6:30am-7:30pm (my job is far), by the time

I get home, photo studios would be close, so this is the reason why I'm trying to get some ideas or checking if anyone have submitted passport size photos instead of going to a studio. Do you by a chance live in Japan??? Thanks for the advice anyway, I DID NOT THINK OF THAT.

I've never been to Japan but I would suggest that you ask the U.S embassy for places they know prints acceptable sizes, or visit a professional photo centre and have them reprint the standard passport photo from your country in the required dimensions I think they should be able to do that with ease it might just cost you a little bit extra.

Yeah, I guess it'll cost more too, plus extra time. Thank you!

First of all, that eye rolling emoticon is unnecessary, 2nd, it is easier and faster to take it at the photo booth (they're everywhere) especially for busy people like me, 3rd, there aren't a lot of photo studios in Japan especial in the country side, so it'll require me to drive, and I don't drive. I can have someone drive me, but that means making a schedule, and I'm usually not home from 6:30am-7:30pm (my job is far), by the time

I get home, photo studios would be close, so this is the reason why I'm trying to get some ideas or checking if anyone have submitted passport size photos instead of going to a studio. Do you by a chance live in Japan??? Thanks for the advice anyway, I DID NOT THINK OF THAT.

Yeah, I guess it'll cost more too, plus extra time. Thank you!

Oh wow... Thank god i didnt ask you why you didnt took tose photos the last time you was in the US.. Cause thats something i was about to write, but then i thougt, it wont help you.

I was just trying to help, cause i know here in middle europa (Switzerland, Germany and Austria) their just axept the 5x5 and nothing else (Btw also the USCIS and i guess also the DoS).

You also can ask a friend to take a photo of you (white background and all the other rewuirements) and chop it by yourself at your computer and print it on photo paper.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

I live in the countryside in Japan and managed to find one that does 50 x 50 "visa sized" photos. I also saw one at a train station in Tokyo - I think it might've been Ikebukuro - next to the coin lockers. Not every photobooth has that size, though! If you've only checked one or two photobooths, check a few more just to make sure you haven't missed one.

Otherwise, you could do what I almost did and download a smartphone app to take an appropriately sized and positioned photo yourself and print it out on your computer or at a printing station (of which there are many in Japan, including at conbinis). The smartphone apps have little positioning guidelines just like the photobooths do, so it's probably really hard to mess it up...

Edited by shiroiuso

Timeline

Oh wow... Thank god i didnt ask you why you didnt took tose photos the last time you was in the US.. Cause thats something i was about to write, but then i thougt, it wont help you.

I was just trying to help, cause i know here in middle europa (Switzerland, Germany and Austria) their just axept the 5x5 and nothing else (Btw also the USCIS and i guess also the DoS).

You also can ask a friend to take a photo of you (white background and all the other rewuirements) and chop it by yourself at your computer and print it on photo paper.

Sorry, I was a bit harsh with my reply, I just feel like sarcasm wasn't necessary, or so it seem like it. From what I know, a lot of people who are migrating haven't even stepped in the US, but in my case I have, but is only stay there a couple of weeks the most, especially that my husband is always on deployment. I was already back in Japan when we started he process, so we have no idea about what we really need until now, nor do we know anyone who has done what we are doing.

Timeline

I live in the countryside in Japan and managed to find one that does 50 x 50 "visa sized" photos. I also saw one at a train station in Tokyo - I think it might've been Ikebukuro - next to the coin lockers. Not every photobooth has that size, though! If you've only checked one or two photobooths, check a few more just to make sure you haven't missed one.

Otherwise, you could do what I almost did and download a smartphone app to take an appropriately sized and positioned photo yourself and print it out on your computer or at a printing station (of which there are many in Japan, including at conbinis). The smartphone apps have little positioning guidelines just like the photobooths do, so it's probably really hard to mess it up...

There are a couple close by where I live, but no 50x50, so my only choice would be finding it somewhere else, but since I'm busy and don't drive, that means I'd have to wait until the weekend. I was hoping to find some other alternative here, but I guess it really has to be a 50x50

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

There are a couple close by where I live, but no 50x50, so my only choice would be finding it somewhere else, but since I'm busy and don't drive, that means I'd have to wait until the weekend. I was hoping to find some other alternative here, but I guess it really has to be a 50x50

Sorry I couldn't give you the answer you were looking for! I think very few people are willing to run the risk of getting a RFE for sending a different size.

And this is crazy, but leave it to Japan... I took a look at my leftover photos and the company that does the 50x50 size is City Photo Station by FujiFilm. Turns out they actually have a website where you can search for one of their photobooths in your area. Good luck!

http://as.chizumaru.com/ffdips/top?account=ffdips

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.