user786

Can we file for AOS in Florida if we have already filed for immigrant Visa?

2 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Here are the quick facts...

Husband is US Citizen

Wife is Canadian Citizen

We married in 1996 in Canada

Have 3 US Citizen children born in USA (wife flew over to USA for each delivery and did not overstay)

Filed for I-130 which is approved.

Filed for K3 visa which is also approved and passed interview and have valid K3 visa in passport.

Wife moved over to Florida from Canada and is living here with husband and 3 kids.

We thought it would be quicker and cheaper to file for immigrant visa in Montreal instead of doing AOS in Florida so we filed immigrant visa and it is in process still at the NVC

We have now realized that our city is doing AOS very quickly and we don't want all of the extra expense and travel back and forth to Canada for medicals and interviews etc. (It is very tough and costly with 3 infant\toddler children)

We would now like to STRONGLY consider just filing the AOS here locally in Florida and waiting it out in the US rather than back to Montreal for immigrant visa.

Can we do this?

Would we just go ahead and mail in the I-485 paperwork and fees and wait until we get a NOA for it and then call the NVC up and tell them to cancel the immigrant visa processing as we have decided to go the AOS route ?

I know it would mean that we would loose all our immigrant visa fees we paid and that we would need to pay new AOS fees but TRUST ME, that will be cheaper than us flying around with all the kids and the hassle involved would be crazy.

It seems too straight forward and easy from our research and we just wanted to running by everyone on the forums to see if we are missing out something or if there is anything of importance we should carefully consider before moving forward and mailing in the I-485 stuff.

Thanks and have a great day !

I-129f K3 Timeline

K3 APPROVED in Montreal, Canada on 03/03/2005

Moved to USA with K3 on 03/15/2005

I-130 / IR-1 Timeline

I-130 filed to TSC with NOA1 on 04/28/2004

I-130 transferred from TSC to CSC 10/22/2004

I-130 received at CSC 11/04/2004

I-130 APPROVED 12/02/2004

NOA2 received on 12/03/2004

Case transferred to NVC on 12/13/2004

Received DS-3032 and I864 Fee bill from NVC on 12/27/2004

Waiting to meet I-864 requirements

Contacted NVC for a new DS-3032 and I-864 fee bill on 10/17/2006

NVC generated new DS-3032 and AOS Fee Bill on 10/30/2006

Received DS-3032 and AOS Fee Bill on 11/03/2006

Sent in Choice of Agent by e-mail on 11/06/2006

Mailed in AOS Fee Bill on 11/06/2006

Received IV Fee bill and mailed it back on 11/13/2006

Received I-864 packet and also DS-230 IV Packet on 12/10/2006

Got a new RCMP police certificate on 12/29/2006

Mailed NVC the I-864 and the DS-230 on 01/03/2007

USPS Tracking shows NVC recieved on 01/04/2007

NVC official received date from phone representative is 01/12/2007

Got RFE for spouse maiden name on DS230 on 01/20/2007

Mailed in corrected DS230 by overnight mail 01/24/2007

USPS Tracking shows NVC recieved on 01/25/2007

Case complete at NVC 02/14/2007

Waiting on Montreal interview date for IR-1 visa

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Here are the quick facts...

Husband is US Citizen

Wife is Canadian Citizen

We married in 1996 in Canada

Have 3 US Citizen children born in USA (wife flew over to USA for each delivery and did not overstay)

Filed for I-130 which is approved.

Filed for K3 visa which is also approved and passed interview and have valid K3 visa in passport.

Wife moved over to Florida from Canada and is living here with husband and 3 kids.

We thought it would be quicker and cheaper to file for immigrant visa in Montreal instead of doing AOS in Florida so we filed immigrant visa and it is in process still at the NVC

We have now realized that our city is doing AOS very quickly and we don't want all of the extra expense and travel back and forth to Canada for medicals and interviews etc. (It is very tough and costly with 3 infant\toddler children)

We would now like to STRONGLY consider just filing the AOS here locally in Florida and waiting it out in the US rather than back to Montreal for immigrant visa.

Can we do this?

Would we just go ahead and mail in the I-485 paperwork and fees and wait until we get a NOA for it and then call the NVC up and tell them to cancel the immigrant visa processing as we have decided to go the AOS route ?

I know it would mean that we would loose all our immigrant visa fees we paid and that we would need to pay new AOS fees but TRUST ME, that will be cheaper than us flying around with all the kids and the hassle involved would be crazy.

It seems too straight forward and easy from our research and we just wanted to running by everyone on the forums to see if we are missing out something or if there is anything of importance we should carefully consider before moving forward and mailing in the I-485 stuff.

Thanks and have a great day !

Thats a lotta information .. The part i do know is that if your wife is in the USA with a valid K3 visa she can do AOS .. you should read the guides they are a big help ..

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k1k3aos

~My AOS (K1)

Jan 19/07 NOA1

Feb 05/07 Transfered to CSC

Feb 08/07 Biometrics

Mar 30/07 Welcome notice sent

April 10/07 Card production ordered

April 13/07 Approval notice sent

April 16/07 Green card in hand

~My Sons AOS (K2) Age 11

Jan 19/07 NOA1

Feb 05/07 Transfered to CSC

Feb 08/07 Biometrics

Mar 30/07 Welcome notice sent

April 10/07 Card production ordered

April 13/07 Approval notice sent

April 16/07 Green card in hand

~My Daughters AOS (K2) Age 9

Jan 19/07 NOA1

Feb 07/07 RFE Snail mail

Feb 08/07 Biometrics

Feb 14/07 sent back RFE ~ Feb 21/07 email resp. RFE

Feb 29/07 Transfered to CSC !!

April 03/07 Card production ordered

April 04/07 Welcome notice sent

April 07/07 Welcome notice & Green card arrived

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.