wmachannell

Travel to US during NVC processing

3 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hi everybody,

I was wondering if anybody has had issues trying to visit the US during the NVC processing stage.

My wife is currently in Colombia awaiting the whole process, and our daughter and I are here in the US. I have been here since January 2014 and our daughter joined me here in August to start the school year. We submitted the Affidavit of Support, civil documents, and visa application in October. Today I got notification that there is one mistake on my I-864 (I did not put the "adjusted total gross income" but instead put my regular income). I will need to correct the form and send it back in to NVC, but that means that we will have to wait another 60 days.

We are wondering if my wife will have any problems entering with her B1/B2 visa. Our plan is for her to visit for Christmas and January (my daughter's birthday is in January, so that makes it important, too). My wife has visited the US multiple times in the last eight years on her B1/B2 visa and never overstayed or anything. Given the dates, the idea would be for her to return to Colombia at the end of January, which should be just before we get notification from the NVC process and she can start getting ready for the interview. Obviously, she will need to explain this all to the CBP officer upon entry, and we are planning on simply explaining the situation and the fact that we know it will take another 60 days to get the NVC answer after I resubmit my I-864, and that she has every intention of returning to Colombia at the end of her trip.

Currently she is living with her sister, so she has no lease or anything to show. Also, she is a teacher and will only be working till the end of this school year, which ends in a week. She has already resigned from that position and will not be returning to work for the next school year, due to the immigration process. I know this will probably look bad, but I guess if she is honest, explains the situation, and the CBP officer understands that she is simply coming to the US for Christmas and a few weeks in January, she shouldn't have any issues.

What do you think the chances are of her getting denied entry?

Thanks!

WAC

Timeline

I have been doing trips backs and forth to the States for the last 14 months with no glitch whatsoever. I have never been asked any proof that links me back to Colombia. Basic questions such as how long I will be there? who am I going to visit?. Tell her to keep it simple and just answer the questions. Be honest and she will be fine. I always carry any NVC notifications and copy of my return tickets.

Good luck! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Timeline

This is so great to hear. A lot of the people who post stories about not having problems getting in the country are coming from places like Canada, the UK, Germany, etc., but I was unsure of how somebody from different countries would be treated, particularly Colombia.

You have just made my day!

Thanks!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.