Somerset Boy

Dog bringing to USA from UK

8 posts in this topic

Fortunately dogs don't need a visa even if they have the intent to immigrate lol. The U.S. doesn't bother with the importing of a pet (dogs or cats), in my experience. They just require that the pet is properly vaccinated and you carry that proof with you just in case you are asked for it.

Also the UK may have rules about the exporting of pets like they do in my country, but the people to find out with is the airline. They also have their own requirements and they can tell you what you will need. Different airlines have different requirements, so you want to check with each since some are more strict than others.

If the dog is small enough he can travel with you in the cabin. However if you plan to fly the pet out alone, it may be problematic because I think the maximum a pet can fly alone is like 4 hours. Again, find out with the airline and check their website as well for all of the info. They not only post their own policy, but also whatever requirements of the countries where you are traveling to/from.

Edited by Ian H.

This does not constitute legal advice.

Also, sometimes they require a health certificate from a vet in addition to the vaccines to certify that the pet is healthy for international travel.

I hope I am posting in the correct Forum.

Does anyone have advice on bringing their pet dog from UK to USA what is required & cost?

Hi, I used a company in the UK called airpets.com to bring my cat over here & from start to finish they were great, the person that dealt with it was very helpful.

Brian

AOS

Feb 3rd 2014 sent AOS pack I-130, I-485, 
Feb 17th 2014 Received NOA1 x 3 NOA1 date 5th Feb 2014
Feb 22nd 2014 Received biometrics appointment for 7th March 2014 at 3pm
Feb 27th 2014 Did early walk in for Biometrics successfully
March 17th 2014 Received text & email with interview date on 22nd April 2014

March 18th 2014 Received interview letter in post with time & place, 2.15pm at Mt Laurel NJ
April 16th 2014 Received EAD card
April 22nd 2014 Had AOS interview at Mt Laurel NJ APPROVED
April 22nd 2014 Text & email Case Status: Card / Document Production
April 26th 2014 Received my Green Card today
Total time from Application to Approval 11 Weeks & 1 Day
ROC
Feb 9th 2016 I-751 package sent to Vermont Service Center
Feb 11th 2016 I-751 package received at VSC
Feb 17th 2016 Cheque for $590 cashed

Feb 19th 2016 Received I-797 NOA Dated 02/12/2016

March 8th 2016 Biometrics Appointment at 10am. (Done)

April 14th 2017  I-551 stamp in passport 

April 27th 2017 Received text & email Card/Document Production

May 3rd 2017 Received 10 year Green Card today   

N-400

March 7th 2017 N-400 sent to Dallas TX 

March 10th N-400 Application received

March 15th Cheque for $725 cashed

March 20th received NOA1 dated March 15th

March 24th received biometrics appointment for 04/05/17

March 28th did early walk in for biometrics 

October 10th received Citizenship Interview letter

November 13th Citizenship Interview at 10 am Mount Laurel NJ passed my interview.

November 13th Oath ceremony 3pm now a citizen

November 14th applied for my passport 

November 25th Received my passport 

November 27th Received my naturalization certificate back

November 28th Updated my social security records 

Thanks for that info.

I am contacting the 3 main airlines that fly to DC to find out what they can tell me......often they have no clue!!

Hmm...that's odd. Airlines should have a price policy listed. For example JetBlue charges $100 each way last time I checked. Exactly how large is the dog? They may have extra fees if he is particularly big, but I believe most of them charge the same price regardless. Also you haven't mentioned if you will be flying with the pet or if you plan on flying him out alone, because that is also a defining factor. The airline should have the policy on their website somewhere, try using the search feature. Which airlines in particular are you considering?

• 5 months later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.