Melibelle

Taxes/Accountants

2 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I hope this isn't too off topic, but my husband and I were talking about our taxes for next year and realizing it may be a bit complicated. I'd though I'd ask here how others handled doing your US/Canadian taxes once you were married and migrated. Did you use an accountant and if so, do you have any recommendations (ideally in NYC but anyone who would work remotely would do) or any tips on how to find someone? Did you need a separate one for each country?

Next year will be our first year filing jointly and because my now-husband sold his property and closed his company in Canada this year to move here, we're thinking TurboTax isn't going to cut it. We tried finding someone last year just for his US taxes, but our google searches came up with some really expensive firms, or folks who claimed to know international taxes but just wanted my husband to file as a non-resident when he clearly wasn't one for tax purposes.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

AOS from TN (I'm the petitioner)

05-14-14: Married!

05-22-14: (Day 00) - AOS package (I-130/I-485/I-131/I-765) overnighted to Chicago

05-23-14: (Day 01) - Package delivered and signed for by J.C.

05-30-14: (Day 08) - Email/text notifications received at 12:24am

06-05-14: (Day 14) - NOAs received in the mail

06-07-14: (Day 16) - Biometrics appointment received in the mail

06-20-14: (Day 29) - Biometrics complete as scheduled

06-26-14: (Day 35) - Received text that I-485 was moved to "Testing and Interview" stage

08-12-14: (Day 82) - EAD/AP card in production

08-20-14: (Day 90) - EAD/AP card arrived

08-27-14: (Day 97) - Received email for interview October 3rd

08-29-14: (Day 99) - NOA2 for interview received in the mail

10-03-14: (Day 134) - Interview at Federal Plaza - APPROVED! Card in Production email 20 minutes later!

10-09-14: (Day 140) - Received email that card was mailed

10-10-14: (Day 141) - Green card, Welcome to the US notice, and approval of I-130 received in the mail

ROC

08-02-16: Mailed ROC package to VSC

08-09-16: Check cashed

08-12-16: Received NOA dated 8-5

08-26-16: Received biometrics appointment for 9/8/16

07-13-17: New card is being produced!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We used someone remotely from H&R Block (I believe she was based in Michigan) to file for our Canada/US taxes in 2011, based on a referral. She was familiar with the process for both countries and everything went smoothly. I can probably dig up her contact info if you want it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.