Clifford27

I129F mailed and NOA1 recieved (I think)... Next Steps

2 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

I have so many questions and my head is spinning from reading this forum over the past weeks. My fiance is in California and I am in Canada. The plan is for me to move there and get married.

We recieved a letter in the mail called I-797C Notice of Action - with a recieved date of Nov 13, 2014

Is that considered the NOA1?

Have created the time line and and put in all the info that we have so far.

What I am trying to figure out is what can I do to help be ready for the next steps.

I know that I require a police check and some sort of medical/vaccinations. Is this something I can do ahead of time? or do I need to wait for info from a package before I go ahead with this.

Also if I get them to early is there a chance they will make me get them done again?

The package that we sent with the I129F was huge, it had a ton of info plus we included the Proof of Relationship info. We wanted to be safe and inclide as much as possible. Might have been overkill but I guess we will find out.

I am not looking forward to a trip to Montreal for the interview. So out of my way and an expense that was not planned, but will be well worth it for this process to be completed.

Any help on things I can prepare ahead of time while I am waiting Canada will be very helpful.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Whereabouts in Canada do you live out of curiousity?

After the NOA1 (yes that is what you received) there isn't a lot you can do besides wait - I did try to get the future paperwork in order anyway. You can definitely make sure you are up to date on your vaccinations. Find out which ones you need and are missing and get proof you either had the vaccine or are immune (with a titers blood test). That will still be valid at your medical. I'm not sure about the police check - I've heard they have limited validity of either 6 months or a year (not sure so don't quote me), but maybe wait a little bit longer for that. It doesn't take long to get it anyway - if it makes you feel better you can research exactly how and where to get one so when the time comes it'll be easy peasy. I walked in and had mine 20 minutes later! Sometimes it takes a bit longer, but unless you have a criminal record you don't need the fingerprints.

Oh, if you are visiting your fiance, keep track of your visits into the US as you will need to list them later to the best of your memory. And, once you are in the US, keep on keeping track for your citizenship. I have a list of them written down still!

VeeNDee

April 23, 2013 - AOS interview - Approved!

January 26, 2015 - Mailed off ROC Application

June 30, 2015 - 10 year greencard in hand

January 25, 2016 - N400 Application Mailed

May 11, 2016 - Citizenship Interview + same-day Oath ceremony!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.