dahlia29

Form I-865 - Changing address to a foreign country

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi,

My father's successfully completed and received his GC this year, and as his sponsor, I'm actually planning to move to Canada next year. I don't intend on removing my affidavit of support, I just want to forward the USCIS a new address, which will be in Canada. Is that possible? I saw on the form itself that it gave me the option of putting a province and country of my new address. But when it comes to mailing out form I-865, it only gives me options to send to an office in the US (they don't give an option of sending it elsewhere if my address is in a foreign country).

Other questions:

• Will the Affidavit of Support end if I move to Canada? If so, do I need to elect someone else to apply for my father's Affidavid of Support (like a joint support or should that be done before the entire visa application process?)
  • Will my father be deported if his sponsor (me) leaves for a foreign country indefinitely?
  • Who can I ask to get answers in person or on the phone?

I've searched through the forums and the websites, but none of them answer my question specifically about deportation and forwarding/moving to a foreign address.

Concerning our statuses, I have dual citizenship in both the US and Canada. My father has Canadian citizenship, with a Green Card in the US.

Any help will be appreciated, thank you!

Hi,

My father's successfully completed and received his GC this year, and as his sponsor, I'm actually planning to move to Canada next year. I don't intend on removing my affidavit of support, I just want to forward the USCIS a new address, which will be in Canada. Is that possible? I saw on the form itself that it gave me the option of putting a province and country of my new address. But when it comes to mailing out form I-865, it only gives me options to send to an office in the US (they don't give an option of sending it elsewhere if my address is in a foreign country).

Other questions:

• Will the Affidavit of Support end if I move to Canada? If so, do I need to elect someone else to apply for my father's Affidavid of Support (like a joint support or should that be done before the entire visa application process?)
  • Will my father be deported if his sponsor (me) leaves for a foreign country indefinitely?
  • Who can I ask to get answers in person or on the phone?

I've searched through the forums and the websites, but none of them answer my question specifically about deportation and forwarding/moving to a foreign address.

Concerning our statuses, I have dual citizenship in both the US and Canada. My father has Canadian citizenship, with a Green Card in the US.

Any help will be appreciated, thank you!

The USCIS office that is responsible for tacking sponsor's addresses is within the US, so you will mail the form to that address.

The affidavit of support is valid until the conditions listed in the instructions are fulfilled: 1) the imigrant becomes a USC, 2) the immigrant works for 40 qualifying quarters, 3) the immigrant dies, 4) the US sponsor dies, 5) the immigrant leaves the US and surrenders their GC.

You father will not get deported. The I-864 is an agreement between you and the US government that states you will repay the US government for any means tested benefits your father recieves while the I-864 is enforcable. They will come after you to get their money and most countries have agreements where they will assist the US governemnt in garnishing your wages or seizing bank accounts, etc.

Why would you want to spend several hours on the phone trying to get these answers. You could make an INFOpass appointment for in person answers, but again why. I think you will get more than enough help here on VJ. :thumbs:

Good luck,

Dave

Filed: Timeline

The USCIS office that is responsible for tacking sponsor's addresses is within the US, so you will mail the form to that address.

The affidavit of support is valid until the conditions listed in the instructions are fulfilled: 1) the imigrant becomes a USC, 2) the immigrant works for 40 qualifying quarters, 3) the immigrant dies, 4) the US sponsor dies, 5) the immigrant leaves the US and surrenders their GC.

You father will not get deported. The I-864 is an agreement between you and the US government that states you will repay the US government for any means tested benefits your father recieves while the I-864 is enforcable. They will come after you to get their money and most countries have agreements where they will assist the US governemnt in garnishing your wages or seizing bank accounts, etc.

Why would you want to spend several hours on the phone trying to get these answers. You could make an INFOpass appointment for in person answers, but again why. I think you will get more than enough help here on VJ. :thumbs:

Good luck,

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thank you for replying. I'm perfectly fine in upholding my duties as a sponsor, I was just worried that my moving to a foreign country would affect or jeopardize his status in any way (I didn't think it would since, he's already gotten a GC and just needs to stay put in the US for 5 years to get citizenship).

Thanks!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.