The Nature Boy

Putin's gallantry upstages Chinese host at APEC

10 posts in this topic

Say what you will! Women love Real men. Look at the Chinese first lady. She is Giddy

http://news.yahoo.com/putins-gallantry-upstages-chinese-host-apec-082636139.html

b99517c95d2f182c650f6a706700f8ab.jpg

BEIJING (AP) — It was a warm gesture on a chilly night when Vladimir Putin wrapped a shawl around the wife of Xi Jinping while the Chinese president chatted with Barack Obama. The only problem: Putin came off looking gallant, the Chinese summit host gauche and inattentive.
Related Stories

Worse still were off-color jokes that began to circulate about the real intentions of the divorced Russian president — a heartthrob among many Chinese women for his macho, man-of-action image.

That was too much for the Chinese authorities.

The incident at a performance linked to this week's Asia-Pacific summit originally was broadcast on state broadcaster CCTV and spread online as a forwarded video. But it was soon scrubbed clean from the Chinese Internet, reflecting the intense control authorities exert over any material about top leaders while also pointing to cultural differences over what's considered acceptable behavior in public.

"China is traditionally conservative on public interaction between unrelated men and women, and the public show of consideration by Putin may provide fodder for jokes, which the big boss probably does not like," said Beijing-based historian and independent commentator Zhang Lifan.

Xi's wife, Peng Liyuan, was once a popular folk singer more famous than her husband, and in contrast to her predecessors she has taken on a much more public role, prominently joining her husband on trips abroad as part of China's soft power push to seek global status commensurate with its economic might.

U.S. President Barack Obama, left, walks with Chinese President Xi Jinping, center, as he gestures t …

Propaganda officials have built the image of Xi and his wife as a loving couple. Photos of Xi shielding his wife from rain on a state visit, picking flowers for her, or simply holding her hand have circulated widely on China's social media, prompting much oohing and aahing.

"When the president personally held up the umbrella for the madam, it complies with the international norm of respecting women," blogger Luo Qingxue wrote on the news site for the party-run newspaper People's Daily last year after Xi was seen holding an umbrella over himself and Peng on a state visit to Trinidad and Tobago.

But Putin messed up the script Monday night while Xi chatted with the American president.

In the video, Peng stood up, politely accepted the gray shawl or blanket offered by Putin, and thanked him with a slight bow. But she soon slipped it off and put on a black coat offered by her own attendant. It spawned a flurry of commentary on China's social media before censors began removing any mention of the incident.

Li Xin, director of Russian and central Asian studies at Shanghai Institute for International Studies, said Putin was just being a proper Russian and did nothing out-of-line diplomatically.

"It's a tradition in Russia for a man of dignity to respect ladies on public occasions, and in a cold country like Russia, it is very normal that a gentleman should help ladies take on and off their coats," Li said. "But the Chinese may not be accustomed to that."

Had Obama done that same thing the right wing blogsphere would be on fire for what they would surely portrait as a diplomatic faux pas.

Pretty much. Obama is a "dictator" and Putin is a "real" leader.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Perhaps he is a real leader in faux pas and gaffes. He is every bit the joke the motley crew purports the POTUS to be and the Chinese are not amused at all... The Chinese first lady snubbed him in public and on camera.. Yikes..

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/11/world/asia/putin-liyuan-shawl-apec/index.html

Cut the shawl talk: Chinese censors wipe Putin's move on China's first lady

Hong Kong (CNN) -- It was a fleeting moment, but one that Chinese censors were quick to snuff out.

At an APEC event to watch the fireworks in Beijing on Monday night, Russian President Vladimir Putin created a few of his own by slipping a shawl over the shoulders of Peng Liyuan, wife of Chinese President Xi Jinping.

A smiling Peng kindly accepted the offer, but seconds later deftly slipped the shawl off into the hands of a waiting aide.

The small act of chivalry, quickly but politely rebuffed, unfolded live on state television, with voiceover from a CCTV anchor stating simply: "President Putin has placed a coat on Peng Liyuan."

Pretty much. Obama is a "dictator" and Putin is a "real" leader.

Edited by JohnR!

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: Timeline

Look at the Chinese first lady. She is Giddy

I wouldn't say giddy. I'd say embarrassed. She's giving him face and trying to be polite. But really, he overstepped his bounds because she's married, and not to him. Most likely why the Chinese government brought out their big censor pens and tried to obliterate this incident from their internet sites.

In my experience, to the old guard, a married man offering his outer garment to a (married) woman who is not his wife, is not "the done thing." Putin committed a faux pas, in my opinion. However, given his penchant for theatrical displays that demonstrate his alpha male prowess, e.g., being photographed shirtless while riding a horse and doing "manly" things, he'll probably get away with it - the Chinese will dismiss it as Putin being Putin and try to give him face by sweeping it under the carpet.

Edited by landr

I wouldn't say giddy. I'd say embarrassed. She's giving him face and trying to be polite. But really, he overstepped his bounds because she's married, and not to him. Most likely why the Chinese government brought out their big censor pens and tried to obliterate this incident from their internet sites.

In my experience, to the old guard, a married man offering his outer garment to a (married) woman who is not his wife, is not "the done thing." Putin committed a faux pas, in my opinion. However, given his penchant for theatrical displays that demonstrate his alpha male prowess, e.g., being photographed shirtless while riding a horse and doing "manly" things, he'll probably get away with it - the Chinese will dismiss it as Putin being Putin and try to give him face by sweeping it under the carpet.

Bull she was a little moist. Would not shock me if they hook up. Women like men that act like they appreciate a woman.

Bull she was a little moist. Would not shock me if they hook up. Women like men that act like they appreciate a woman.

Okay, I'll admit, that made me giggle at my desk. :rofl:

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg