alborosie8090

Foreign Bank Account Statements as Primary Evidence/Translation?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

Hi! Lots of posts today... getting there slowly but surely...

I am getting my primary evidence gathered -- I have copies of Passport Entry Stamps, and (2) copies of boarding passes and baggage receipts. I traveled back and forth several different times the past year and unfortunately didn't save every boarding pass. I'm hoping that 2 showing me leaving Costa Rica and coming to U.S. should be sufficient, coupled with ALL of my passport stamps. I also have credit card statements that show purchases being made in Costa Rica. I also want to print out some bank statements from my bank account in Costa Rica - which is where my questions arises...

These bank statements are obviously in Spanish. I can translate them myself but am wondering to what extent to they need to be translated. Can I just add a post-it indicating this is a statement of my Costa Rican bank account? Or do I need to recreate the document in English? I certainly don't want to translate each and every transaction but don't want an RFE.

For secondary evidence, I have organized my itineraries that correspond with each passport stamp, and the boarding passes that I did have. I have about 10 photos of us together, dated.

If anyone suggests I add more, please let me know. This seems sufficient but I welcome feedback.

Timeline

Why would you need the bank statements? What do they show that the passport entry/exit stamps do not?

I wanted to prove long-term living in Costa Rica with my fiance and... sending foreign bank statements basically makes it impossible to prove that I WASN'T there. That's pretty good primary evidence I feel like. I feel like it would just establish even more that I have been there with him, met him, etc., and leave no room for an RFE. Isn't it better to send too much info than not enough?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

You should be judicious in what you send. There should be a reason for everything; otherwise, you're just sending stuff to send stuff without it really serving any purpose. You'll be establishing your presence in the country with your passport stamps, and the bank statements don't do anything extra to prove that you have been with your fiancé more than you've been with any other person in Costa Rica. That's what the photos (and shared itineraries, reservations, correspondence, etc., if you have them) do.

Timeline

You should be judicious in what you send. There should be a reason for everything; otherwise, you're just sending stuff to send stuff without it really serving any purpose. You'll be establishing your presence in the country with your passport stamps, and the bank statements don't do anything extra to prove that you have been with your fiancé more than you've been with any other person in Costa Rica. That's what the photos (and shared itineraries, reservations, correspondence, etc., if you have them) do.

Got it. Thanks so much for the feedback.

Now, one thing I am concerned about is I don't have any shared itineraries. I have photos from a trip we took to the beach together, with credit card statements in my name where we went. And then I have other photos of us together in Costa Rica. Do I need to submit more secondary evidence like correspondences? Should I try to print out text message conversations or something?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

That's where you'll want to rely on the consulate reviews on this site to get an idea of what other people have taken with them to the interview (remember, you can take evidence with you that you don't include originally with the I-129F) and also check out the consulate's instructions. I get the impression that Costa Rica is not super demanding in terms of evidence, but again, look at what people in your situation before have done.

Timeline

That's where you'll want to rely on the consulate reviews on this site to get an idea of what other people have taken with them to the interview (remember, you can take evidence with you that you don't include originally with the I-129F) and also check out the consulate's instructions. I get the impression that Costa Rica is not super demanding in terms of evidence, but again, look at what people in your situation before have done.

So that is obviously more of an interview issue than my initial filing of the I-129F, right? My main concern at this point is getting the I-129F approved, interview I know we will have to gather more info.

You are very direct and helpful and I really appreciate it!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.