Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Need HELP determining if I accrued out of status stay and if it would be safe for me to travel on Advance Parole

1 post in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Japan

Hi, I just started my AOS process and I am really worried because I really want to travel to my home country after I obtain the Advance Parole (filed with EAD and AOS). But I have heard that a lot of people would get denied re-entry or Green card application if they had unlawful stay/overstay their visa in the US prior to leaving the country without obtaining their Green card.

I entered the country on H1B visa and my I-94 is valid until 30-Nov-14. However, I quit my job on 20-Oct-14. I got married around that time to a USC and filed for Adjustment of status on 5-Nov-14.

Now, what I'm wondering is...have I accrued any unlawful/Out of status stay? How does the government start counting the unlawful/Out of status/overstay of the visa? Is it from the day I quit my job, or the day that my I-94 expires? And when would I stop accruing the unlawful stay? The day I got the receipt number of my AOS filing or the day I get my green card?

I have read from a few threads/pages that people who accrued unlawful stay/overstay their visa for more than 180 days would face 3-yr bar out of the US, and if it's more than 1-year of unlawful stay, then it will be 10-yr bar, and that it will also affect the decision on whether or not they would approve/deny your AOS/Green card application.

But what if it's less than 180 days? Does the 'unlawful stay' disadvantage in Green card/AOS application, as well as the re-entry to the US after the trip, only apply only to people who overstay for 180 days+ or to anyone with any amount of unlawful/out of status stay in the US?

I'm not sure if there will be a lot of people with similar experience/knowlege, but I really really need any information I can get right now since I really don't know who to ask. I would be really grateful for any kind of input!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...