Henmoh

Can I take my baby to the interview?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Hi,

This maybe a silly question, but I thought it would be better to confirm with VJers anyway!

My husband & I will go for my GC interview next week. It's a spouse based GC application and my husband is required to be present at the interview. I have a 16 month old baby and I want to know if we can take him along? We don't have family here and my child is not yet going to daycare. So I don't have much option as such.

The interview letter specifically states that "you do not need to bring your children unless othwise instructed". That's the line that got me thinking.

Your thoughts will be helpful.

Our Journey (2014): AOS from B-2 (Tourist) Visa :dancing:

07/07: Concurrent Filing of Forms I-130, I-485, I-765 & I-131 at Chicago Lockbox. Documents sent by USPS.

07/10 (Day 01): Parcel delivered at Lockbox (USPS confirmation).

07/15 (Day 06): Four Email & SMS notifications from USCIS (around midnight) - one for each form filed.

07/15 (Day 06): Case status check activated on USCIS for all 4 receipt numbers.

07/18 (Day 09): Four NOAs received in mail.

07/22 (Day 13): Biometrics appointment notice received in mail. Scheduled for Aug 1st.

07/28 (Day 19): Walk-in biometrics appointment at Santa Clara (San Jose Field Office).

08/12 (Day 34): I-485 case status moves to "Testing & Interview". Email notification received.

09/05 (Day 58): I-765 case status moves to "Card/Document Production". Email notification received.

09/10 (Day 63): I-765 case status update "Card/Document Mailed". Email notification received.

09/11 (Day 64): Combo EAD & Advance Parole Card received.

10/03 (Day 86): I-486 case update: Interview scheduled for Nov 5th. Email notification received.

10/06 (Day 89): Interview notice received in mail.
11/05 (Day 119): Interview at San Jose Field Office at 12:30pm. Verbal approval at the interview. Yay!!!

11/05 (Day 119): I-485 case status moves to "Card/Document Production". Email notification received.

Filed: Timeline

I suspect that this is going to come down to the individual USCIS office. I'd call the office and ask if you can bring your baby.

That said, if your baby is likely to be disruptive during the interview, it might be best to make alternative childcare arrangements so that you can focus on passing the interview.

Before you make up your mind, it might be worth using VJ's site search to see if anyone has posted about their experiences interviewing with a baby in tow.

The baby will actually work great in your favor. It will not be a problem..

AOS from F-1(Married to USC
06.08.12 - AOS mailed
09.18.12 - Interview.....Approved!!

ROC- Divorce Waiver
05/09/14- I-751 packet mailed to CSC
05/12/14- NOA1 Receipt date
07/01/14- Biometrics Appt

08/11/14- RFE received

09/08/14- RFE response received by USCIS

09/22/14- 10yrs GC Approved!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

The baby will actually work great in your favor. It will not be a problem..

I suspect that this is going to come down to the individual USCIS office. I'd call the office and ask if you can bring your baby.

That said, if your baby is likely to be disruptive during the interview, it might be best to make alternative childcare arrangements so that you can focus on passing the interview.

Before you make up your mind, it might be worth using VJ's site search to see if anyone has posted about their experiences interviewing with a baby in tow.

Thank you.

Our Journey (2014): AOS from B-2 (Tourist) Visa :dancing:

07/07: Concurrent Filing of Forms I-130, I-485, I-765 & I-131 at Chicago Lockbox. Documents sent by USPS.

07/10 (Day 01): Parcel delivered at Lockbox (USPS confirmation).

07/15 (Day 06): Four Email & SMS notifications from USCIS (around midnight) - one for each form filed.

07/15 (Day 06): Case status check activated on USCIS for all 4 receipt numbers.

07/18 (Day 09): Four NOAs received in mail.

07/22 (Day 13): Biometrics appointment notice received in mail. Scheduled for Aug 1st.

07/28 (Day 19): Walk-in biometrics appointment at Santa Clara (San Jose Field Office).

08/12 (Day 34): I-485 case status moves to "Testing & Interview". Email notification received.

09/05 (Day 58): I-765 case status moves to "Card/Document Production". Email notification received.

09/10 (Day 63): I-765 case status update "Card/Document Mailed". Email notification received.

09/11 (Day 64): Combo EAD & Advance Parole Card received.

10/03 (Day 86): I-486 case update: Interview scheduled for Nov 5th. Email notification received.

10/06 (Day 89): Interview notice received in mail.
11/05 (Day 119): Interview at San Jose Field Office at 12:30pm. Verbal approval at the interview. Yay!!!

11/05 (Day 119): I-485 case status moves to "Card/Document Production". Email notification received.

I have a friend who took her 1 year old, no problem. I have a 3 month old now and should have an interview in the next three months. He will be coming in with me, but I am trying to find someone to watch the 3 and 6 year old. I don't want to annoy the interviewer too much, lol.

Our story...

Met online in 2006. Visited in 2007 for three months, found out I was pregnant.

Married June 2014 (L)

Adjustment of Status

Sep-26-2014 (Day 0) Sent I-130 and I-485 to Chicago via USPS Express Mail

Sep-29-2014 (Day 3) AOS Delivered

Oct-03-2014 (Day 7) Checks processed, texts with NoA

Oct-08-2014 (Day 12) Hard copy NoA in mail

Oct-14-2014 (Day 18) Biometrics Appointment letter for 10/21/2014

Oct-21-2014 (Day 25) Biometrics completed

Oct-27-2014 (Day 31) I-485 changed to Testing and Interview

Nov-03-2014 (Day 38) Interview letter received for December 4th!

Dec-04-2014 (Day 69) Interview, approved on the spot.

Dec-05-2014 (Day 70) I-485 status card production ordered/I-130 approved.

Dec-12-2014 (Day 77) Green Card in hand.

Nov-07-2016 (Day 0) Sent I-751

Nov-09-2016 (Day 2) NOA1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.