Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Affidavit of Support- Part 6 Sponsor's Income and Employment.

2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: India

Hi All,

My mother(LPR) applied for my brother in F2B category. While waiting for PD date(Jan 2009) to become current, we have started gathering information regarding documents we will be required to fill out before the interview.

My question is regarding Part 6 of AOS:

My mother(Petitioner) worked only in 2014 for few months as a nanny, currently not working. She received checks from her employer only for a month and doesn't meet minimum income requirements, so I(daughter) will become a joint sponsor.

1. Does she require to fill out tax for 2014, even though she worked only for 3 months as a nanny in order to support the application?

2. If yes, how can she file IRS tax return for 2014 as she received checks only for a month?

3. Does she require to fill out Part6 and Part 7 in AOS document?

Please advise.


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Whether she is required to file is dependent on how much she made. Obviously, it had to be below the filing threshold if she only worked a few months.

2. She is still able to file taxes even if she worked for 3 months. It's not how long she worked, but how much she made. One can file a tax return with $50 income if one wanted to.

3. Yes. She is required to fill out the form as it applies to her.

If your mother didn't file taxes for the last 3 years because she wasn't required, she has to include a written statement as to why she wasn't required to file, i.e. low income. The same requirements apply to any joint sponsor. I will attach a link with the filing requirements. Even if she made little, I always suggest it's best to file a return, sometimes you are due a refund and not know it.

Please note that the amounts below are for 2013 taxes, so it may change for 2014, but that I'm aware of they increase the thresholds not lower them.


Edited by Ian H.

This does not constitute legal advice.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...