ranis

Affidavit of Support- Part 6 Sponsor's Income and Employment.

2 posts in this topic

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hi All,

My mother(LPR) applied for my brother in F2B category. While waiting for PD date(Jan 2009) to become current, we have started gathering information regarding documents we will be required to fill out before the interview.

My question is regarding Part 6 of AOS:

My mother(Petitioner) worked only in 2014 for few months as a nanny, currently not working. She received checks from her employer only for a month and doesn't meet minimum income requirements, so I(daughter) will become a joint sponsor.

1. Does she require to fill out tax for 2014, even though she worked only for 3 months as a nanny in order to support the application?

2. If yes, how can she file IRS tax return for 2014 as she received checks only for a month?

3. Does she require to fill out Part6 and Part 7 in AOS document?

Please advise.

Thanks

1. Whether she is required to file is dependent on how much she made. Obviously, it had to be below the filing threshold if she only worked a few months.

2. She is still able to file taxes even if she worked for 3 months. It's not how long she worked, but how much she made. One can file a tax return with $50 income if one wanted to.

3. Yes. She is required to fill out the form as it applies to her.

If your mother didn't file taxes for the last 3 years because she wasn't required, she has to include a written statement as to why she wasn't required to file, i.e. low income. The same requirements apply to any joint sponsor. I will attach a link with the filing requirements. Even if she made little, I always suggest it's best to file a return, sometimes you are due a refund and not know it.

Please note that the amounts below are for 2013 taxes, so it may change for 2014, but that I'm aware of they increase the thresholds not lower them.

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p554/ch01.html

Edited by Ian H.

This does not constitute legal advice.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.