antda

Best/Most in Canada and USA...

36 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I second the grocery thing. I find fruit a ridiculous price ............. LOL, I lived in the fruit belt in Canada so I miss that most. The Healthcare system here sucks unless you have money and the RN's are not as good as our Canadian ones but the Doctors are better in the US.

The only fruit that's not lacking here in NorCal is lemons! Pretty much everyone who owns a house with a yard has a lemon tree :)

I have yet to meet a doctor here BUT the funny thing is, the one time I needed to get a prescription medication, I just had to phone in and talk with... someone (I don't even know what that person's qualifications are) at Kaiser... and they just sent my info down to the pharmacy for me to pick up! They also offer you options to get your prescription drugs mailed to you, at a lower cost than if you go in person to pick them up. Weird!

Wierd and Unsafe ! I'll take my Canadian Healthcare anyday, might take longer but I'm sure to get to see my Dr. and not just have them phone in a RX.

Feb. 15/ 07 --- GC approved

Nov. 17/09 -- I-751 sent (Day 1)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Em!

Sorry about not being able for you to exchange your Ontario license for a California one and sorry about your Dad and his HK license. Oh well, it was worth asking. Maybe they do it differently for all the States? I guess you'll be studying now for your CA driver's tests now? Good luck on that. Do you have to take both the written and the driving test? Or just one or the other? Is your Ontario license valid for driving in California, while you are waiting to do your tests?

Yeah, I agree it's easier to drive in the USA than in Canada (especially in Ontario!). Btw...graduated licensing in Ontario sucks (I still had my G2 license when I left Canada, and was about to do my G test after I returned on my vacation, which I never did return back from the USA)! Man, now I wish I grew up here in the USA, where driving is so much more easier. Oh well, I guess I should be grateful that I live in NYS, have a full driver's license, and I don't have to take another driving test in my life ever again!!!

Ant

Thanks! I'll have to take it soon since I've just been approved for my green card :) Nope, no reciprocal agreements with Canada... I have to retake my tests. And yeah, Ontario's driving exams are A LOT HARDER than the ones here. According to Jas (and my nieces who have just taken their written/road tests)... they don't do the freeway exam here, and they don't even test you on parallel parking!!! I'm kind of angry that they won't accept my Ontario licence just because the G1/G2/G system is more rigorous. But then again, my dad had a Hong Kong licence which Ontario didn't accept... and driving in Hong Kong is a LOT more complicated than even downtown T.O.

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Timeline
Hi Em!

Sorry about not being able for you to exchange your Ontario license for a California one and sorry about your Dad and his HK license. Oh well, it was worth asking. Maybe they do it differently for all the States? I guess you'll be studying now for your CA driver's tests now? Good luck on that. Do you have to take both the written and the driving test? Or just one or the other? Is your Ontario license valid for driving in California, while you are waiting to do your tests?

Yeah, I agree it's easier to drive in the USA than in Canada (especially in Ontario!). Btw...graduated licensing in Ontario sucks (I still had my G2 license when I left Canada, and was about to do my G test after I returned on my vacation, which I never did return back from the USA)! Man, now I wish I grew up here in the USA, where driving is so much more easier. Oh well, I guess I should be grateful that I live in NYS, have a full driver's license, and I don't have to take another driving test in my life ever again!!!

Ant

I have to take both the written and the road tests. Not overly worried about it, but I'll definitely need to practise driving with my mother-in-law/sis-in-law's slightly smaller car :)

My Ontario licence's good for 10 days after I become a permanent resident. Not sure if they start counting from when I'm approved, or when I get my green card :P In any case, I'd better start reading over the DMV written exam booklet! I'm going to wait until March (25th birthday!) before getting auto insurance though ;)

Hi Em!

Grr...I hope don't get disconnected again responding to this post, like I did when I got disconnected with the post about Petaluma in another message thread....

Anyways, I think you'll do well, since you have so much experience in driving and test taking in Ontario. And yeah, I agree, you need to practice with a car that you feel comfortable with during the test too. Can you also rent and/or borrow other cars too (from a driving school for example) if need be too? Are you still going to drive your husband's truck after you get your license?

Hmmm..not sure about the resident thing, but yeah, it would make sense that they count from the green card date. By the way, the date on the green card is the date that you got approved. In your case, it would be 01/31/07 (trandlated into Canadian date as 31/01/07). Either way, it is good to get started studying (and practicing too on the road if you can). Never knew that they had that discounted 25 years old insurance thing too (kind of like in Ontario), but can you legally drive without auto insurance before your birthday?

Regardless, good luck with your driving endeavours.

Ant

I have to take both the written and the road tests. Not overly worried about it, but I'll definitely need to practise driving with my mother-in-law/sis-in-law's slightly smaller car :)

My Ontario licence's good for 10 days after I become a permanent resident. Not sure if they start counting from when I'm approved, or when I get my green card :P In any case, I'd better start reading over the DMV written exam booklet! I'm going to wait until March (25th birthday!) before getting auto insurance though ;)

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Yeah, I'd drive Jas' truck after the exam, because it'd be awkward to borrow my in-law's car all the time. As for renting a car to practise for an exam... it'd be very expensive for me since I'm not quite 25 yet.

Insurance -- I think the family vehicles' insurances cover once-in-a-blue-moon drivers? People lend their vehicles to friends and relatives all the time, but since I'm not well-versed in these matters, I'd say "I don't know how auto insurance works." In any case, until I have a job, I'd be a very occasional driver since Jas needs his vehicle for work everyday.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Best things about Canada: pretty much what everyone else has said. I'll add that Canadians aren't obsessed with politicians' sex lives. Nobody cares who the PM sleeps with, as long as he's not on the lawn at Parliament Hill at the time. Lottery winnings are tax free and paid immediately.

Worst things about Canada: snow, the never-ending Quebec separatist problem, snow, higher taxes, snow, overburdened hospitals and not enough doctors, snow, Air Canada... did I mention snow?

Best things about the US: my truelove is here, easy to find a doctor who is actually taking new patients, cheaper prices for most things, the ability (in south Texas) to walk around in shorts in February.

Worst things about the US: politics, religion, health insurance, grocery products, ignorance. They expect their politicians to have dropped out of the sky, fully grown with no history and no sex drive. Right wing Christians have virtually taken over the country. Health insurance costs more than a car payment every month and still requires "co-pay" every time you do anything. Everything at the grocery store has high fructose corn syrup in it. Despite the fact that the US has never rated higher than 17th in the annual listings of the best countries to live in, while Canada has never been lower than 3rd and is frequently 1st, they STILL blindly believe this is the best country in the world and everyone is rabid to come here.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Best things about Canada: pretty much what everyone else has said. I'll add that Canadians aren't obsessed with politicians' sex lives. Nobody cares who the PM sleeps with, as long as he's not on the lawn at Parliament Hill at the time. Lottery winnings are tax free and paid immediately.

Not sure if you've been up on this story, but the whole Peter MacKay/ Belinda Stronach/ Tie Domi story.. THAT is a pretty hot political story up here.. Everyone cares about who's sleeping with whom on that one. There are even rumours flying about Secretary Rice & Peter MacKay hooking up. :)

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTV...hub=TorontoHome

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

You know, the difference in tenor of the coverage is a good illustration of what I was saying. Not cruel, not viciously condemning, not voyeuristic avidity camouflaged as moral selfrighteousness, just gossip and amusement.

Worst things about Canada: snow, the never-ending Quebec separatist problem, snow, higher taxes, snow, overburdened hospitals and not enough doctors, snow, Air Canada... did I mention snow?

all the snow depends where you're from though doesn't it? I know you're from Barrie, but those of us from just south of there in the past couple of decades hadn't had nearly as much snow as the previous decades. I actually miss snow quite a lot, and wish we'd get some here in NC sometime. The bugs never die off here, and we're swarmed with mosquitoes in fricken February! I'll take a bit of snow over mozzies any day!

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

First off--Emily-thanks for the add as friend--I wanted to add you as a friend but I don't know how :help:

as for Best and Worst

the obvious healthcare differences of course!

I am in the middle of winter in Toronto and I WILL NOT MISS IT! I HATE THE COLD!! and can't wait to be in Petaluma for all of February-Hoping it will be spring when I get home.

The biggest difference I noticed was that noone walks in California. I mean not even from store to store in a big shopping complex. EM-not sure if you noticed at the strip plaza with the Zellers or the one across the highway with Trader Joe's (Oh yeay! Trader's Joe's basmati rice in a week!) that no one even walks from the Zellers to the grocery store. INSANE! In Toronto, if you're not on the TTC you are walking somewhere. My fiance doesn't even walk the tiny 2 blocks from the house to Whole Foods!! LA is even worse. I felt like a nincompoop when I asked him what was going on that no one was walking around on the sidewalks when we drove to LA to visit his mom. He laughed and said everyone drives in CA!

As for shopping. I like Trader Joe's. Whole Paycheck is a bit nuts--I'm a Food Basics/No Frills kind of girl here. He's in for a rude awakening when it's him, me, and 4 kids in the house. No more Whole Paycheck (except maybe on date night!)

ugh--gonna need to take driver's test--I hope it's true there is no parallel parking on the exam-I avoid it at all costs!

I've realised that people are people no matter where you live. I grew up in a smallish place in Ontario (Peterborogh) much like Petaluma and moved to London Ontario (mediumish) and now live in Toronto (big-ish) and people are all the same. There are great ones and not so great ones!

First off--Emily-thanks for the add as friend--I wanted to add you as a friend but I don't know how :help:

as for Best and Worst

the obvious healthcare differences of course!

I am in the middle of winter in Toronto and I WILL NOT MISS IT! I HATE THE COLD!! and can't wait to be in Petaluma for all of February-Hoping it will be spring when I get home.

The biggest difference I noticed was that noone walks in California. I mean not even from store to store in a big shopping complex. EM-not sure if you noticed at the strip plaza with the Zellers or the one across the highway with Trader Joe's (Oh yeay! Trader's Joe's basmati rice in a week!) that no one even walks from the Zellers to the grocery store. INSANE! In Toronto, if you're not on the TTC you are walking somewhere. My fiance doesn't even walk the tiny 2 blocks from the house to Whole Foods!! LA is even worse. I felt like a nincompoop when I asked him what was going on that no one was walking around on the sidewalks when we drove to LA to visit his mom. He laughed and said everyone drives in CA!

As for shopping. I like Trader Joe's. Whole Paycheck is a bit nuts--I'm a Food Basics/No Frills kind of girl here. He's in for a rude awakening when it's him, me, and 4 kids in the house. No more Whole Paycheck (except maybe on date night!)

ugh--gonna need to take driver's test--I hope it's true there is no parallel parking on the exam-I avoid it at all costs!

I've realised that people are people no matter where you live. I grew up in a smallish place in Ontario (Peterborogh) much like Petaluma and moved to London Ontario (mediumish) and now live in Toronto (big-ish) and people are all the same. There are great ones and not so great ones!

Let's see... do you see "echomyst" on the top left corner of my reply? If you click on my username, there'll be a drop-down box. The second option's to "add as a friend' :)

Yeah, I've noticed that most people don't walk around here, unless they're homeless or hire-me-for-the-day Mexican workers (no offence to any Mexicans, but fairly large congregations of these exist everywhere around here).

That said, I live near Casa Grande and it takes me 30 min to walk to the plaza with Trader Joe's, KMart, and Long's (and 10-15 min to walk to the closest plaza, which isn't too useful for groceries). I have actually tried walking the entire route and my in-laws all looked at me strangely. With the existence of bike lanes unblocked by piles of snow, I think I'll feel sort-of-safe biking on the streets here, though I'm a scaredy cat and would rather risk biking on the sidewalk!

My sis-in-law jokes about the "used grocery store" (Grocery Outlet) near Whole Foods. I think that's the closest to a discount grocery store we have here? I love Trader Joe's a lot, but we mainly go to Albertson's and Safeway... and Costco. And when I crave Asian grocery items, 99 Ranch is the place to go, but the closest one is a 45-50 min's drive away :(

Don't worry... my niece just took her road test here in Petaluma a couple of months ago and guess what? The exam route's the same as the one my husband took ages ago! I'll have to take mine soon, so I'll be sure to send you a warning if it's overly difficult. If not, just assume it doesn't consist of parallel parking at all ;)

I agree with you on your last point. No matter where you are, there are the nice people and there are the not-so-nice ones. I have taught high school in small town Ontario (Port Perry) and the people there really are no different from those in big city Toronto once you get to know them. Ditto with the locals here in mid-sized Petaluma.

all the snow depends where you're from though doesn't it? I know you're from Barrie, but those of us from just south of there in the past couple of decades hadn't had nearly as much snow as the previous decades. I actually miss snow quite a lot, and wish we'd get some here in NC sometime. The bugs never die off here, and we're swarmed with mosquitoes in fricken February! I'll take a bit of snow over mozzies any day!

Same here -- I miss the snow a whole lot. Sure, we have snow up in the mountains here in NorCal, but that's nearly 3 hrs' drive away and it's not the same as having to trudge through snow on a day-to-day basis.

I miss driving in a snowstorm, or better yet, in the early morning after a big snowstorm and before the city's started plowing. It's crazy, I know, but it makes life more unpredictable and adventurous. I taught in small town Ontario last year, and snowstorms kept most of the kids stranded at home... those snow days make for some very interesting school days!

Hi Em,

Hmmmm....if you're using Jas' truck after the exam, maybe you should get some practice in that vehicle too, since you will be driving that most of the time (unless you get some other vehicle afterwards)? Good though, that you can uses your in-law's car for practice and for the test. Remember though, driving is for a long time afterwards, not just for the test. So the best is to drive in a vehicle that is comfortable for you when you are driving. As for the insurance, yeah, it's better to get an opinion from an insurance agent about that (though I think it covers occasional drivers too, depending on the policy).

Ant

Yeah, I'd drive Jas' truck after the exam, because it'd be awkward to borrow my in-law's car all the time. As for renting a car to practise for an exam... it'd be very expensive for me since I'm not quite 25 yet.

Insurance -- I think the family vehicles' insurances cover once-in-a-blue-moon drivers? People lend their vehicles to friends and relatives all the time, but since I'm not well-versed in these matters, I'd say "I don't know how auto insurance works." In any case, until I have a job, I'd be a very occasional driver since Jas needs his vehicle for work everyday.

Hi Em,

I agree with you in having fun driving in a snowstorm! It is fun, crazy, and unpredictable! Lol...Which reminds me, did I tell you that I drove 20 miles during a snowstorm the other night because we ran out of groceries? Boy, what a thrill, that was! Oh, and there's another snow advisory for tonight (another 10 inches of snow I think). Yeah, the kids get a lot of snow days around here too (I wonder: how come we never got snow days in Toronto?). Oh well, if you're ever in the area here in the middle of winter, you're welcomed to drive in a snowstorm here!

Ant

I miss driving in a snowstorm, or better yet, in the early morning after a big snowstorm and before the city's started plowing. It's crazy, I know, but it makes life more unpredictable and adventurous. I taught in small town Ontario last year, and snowstorms kept most of the kids stranded at home... those snow days make for some very interesting school days!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.