canadianmeghan

Currently in US and i-130 was approved

2 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi all,

My i-130 was approved (!!) finally while I am here in the US visiting for the winter. I am just curious if I am able to call NVC and explain to them that I am visiting for until January and change my address to my husbands US address and maybe not have to go to Montreal for my interview? Or does this look like I am living illegally?

Thanks for the help! I know I could know the i-485 route, but it's more expensive and I don't think any quicker now that I am at this step?

AOS Application

**Filed separately from I-130 along with copy of I-797 Approval Notice**

02/09/2015 - AOS packet sent via Express mail ( I-485, I-131, I-765)
02/19/2015- Delivered to USCIS Chicago

02/19/2015- Check cashed

02/20/2015 - Received USCIS Acceptance Confirmation emails for all

02/27/2015- NOA1 Hard copies received by mail

03/02/2015- Letter with Bio Metrics appt received

03/06/2015- Successful walk in Bio Metrics (Scheduled date was 03/10/2015)

03/09/2015- Online status changed to show RFE for I-485

03/13/2015- RFE received in mail

03/23/2015- Sent RFE back to USCIS

03/26/2015- USCIS website updated to 'RFE received'

04/07/2015- Online status: 'Ready to schedule interview'

04/27/2015- Called USCIS in hopes to speed up EAD, was told to wait until day 75

04/28/2015- Emails received EAD card is in production! (Day 70)

05/07/2015- EAD combo card received in mail

07/28/2015- AOS Interview

08/28/2015- Online status changed to Card in Production!!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

You definitely have to go back to Canada. Applying for I-485 while visiting the US will lead to questions of misrepresentation when you crossed the border that could lead to a denial. And now that the I-130 process is underway and presumably already sent to NVC for processing, you will need to conduct an interview in Montreal.

Edited by jjasondday

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.