cca

question on name change and passport

4 posts in this topic

Hi

I got my conditional GC whilst married to my ex husband. We got divorced in 2010 and afterwards i was still granted my permanent GC. I have recently got remarried and hve changed my last name.

2 questions

1: i plan to apply for citizenship this December. However my GC is still in my old married name. (I hadnt legally changed my name back to my maiden when i was granted my permanent GC) will this be a problem when applying for citizenship? I have all the documents showing why its changed since.

2: if i get granted us citizenship do i hve to get a us passport before i travel or can i still travel on my GC for a while?

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

You'll have no problem with the name change. At your interview you will show evidence that your name has been changed and your naturalization certificate will be issued in your current legal name. You will also put your current legal name on the n400 application.

US citizens are required to enter and leave the US on a US passport. At your oath ceremony, your greencard will be taken from you and destroyed. You must obtain a US passport before you travel after you become a US citizen. However, you can use your current passport and green card to travel at any time up to the day that you take your oath of citizenship.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Thank you for your response. Very helpful

Ps, do we need to take a test on usa to get citizenship? If yes, how difficult is it and how many qs are there? Thanks

Please read the naturalization guide.

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/article/M-476.pdf

Here are the 100 questions. They will pick 10 of them and you have to get 6 right.

http://www.uscis.gov/citizenship/teachers/educational-products/100-civics-questions-and-answers-mp3-audio-english-version

They will also test your English reading, writing, and speaking skills (see the guide).

You will have to review your application with an interviewer at your interview.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.