Natanloupan

Name on DS forms

2 posts in this topic

Let's say our daughter's name is " Lisa Ana Kirk Jones " and I put on the DS forms just " Lisa " as first when that name should be " Lisa Ana " . This is how it appears on the forms FIRST Lisa Middle Ana Kirk LAST Jones . On her NSO birth certificate it appears " Lisa Ana " as first name .

How much of a problem will this be at the CRBA interview ? I will not be present at the interview and already filled out the DS forms with the notary . When I examine my U.S. passport the surname appears first then below is given names . With that in mind when our daughter's passport is issued it should appear to be correct . On the surname will be " Jones " on given it will read " Lisa Ana Kirk . Question really is how critical the wording is on the DS forms and if they allow it and approve the CRBA . I doubt I could redo the DS forms and send them in time . Hopefully everything will be OK the way it is .

• 4 weeks later...

I think you'll be fine, because my son had almost the exact same situation, and we had no problems at all.

My wife and son each have 4 names. Here in Cape Verde names are organized by "personal names" (1 or 2) and "family names" (1 to 4). (That is, the second name of a "David Jones Smith" would not be considered a given name like in the US.) I've never been sure what the "right way" to translate this into "first, middle, last" is when they want a full official name. My wife has one personal and 3 family names, and my son has two personal and 2 family names. On all the CRBA-related forms, I put all names the same way you did:

First name: the first one

Middle name: all the ones in the middle

Last name: the last one
On his birth certificate, his name is written:
Personal name: Name1 Name2
Family name: Name1 Name2

No problems or comments at the interview, and my son got his CRBA. Hope everything goes well for you, too!

Edited by CVGetz

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.