gotobang

documents to prove physical presence (5-year rule)?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I had 36 trips in the past 5 years and I have figured out all the entry/exit dates based on my passport stamps. But if I submit N-400 package, what kinds of documents should I include as supporting evidence to prove physical presence?

The only evidence I can think of is a photocopy of my passport pages with stamps and stickers in different languages ...

Suggestions?

Thanks a lot.

I'm pretty sure that's enough proof, your passport stamps. They ask you to bring your all of your passports and travel docs for the interview. They help prove when you were outside of the US, you would also have a stamp for each time you were admitted in your passports since you are an LPR. That I'm aware of you don't include copies of your trips, they just ask for the dates in the application.

Also, it doesn't matter how many trips you took as long as you weren't outside of the US for more than 30 months (3 years) in the last 60 months (5 years) from when you submitted the application. The only other things that affect are single trips of 6 months or more, this is the continuous residence requirement.

Remember that partial days, count as full days in the US. So the days you traveled, even if you were only in the country for an hour, it counts as an entire day.

Edited by Ian H.

This does not constitute legal advice.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm pretty sure that's enough proof, your passport stamps. They ask you to bring your all of your passports and travel docs for the interview. They help prove when you were outside of the US, you would also have a stamp for each time you were admitted in your passports since you are an LPR. That I'm aware of you don't include copies of your trips, they just ask for the dates in the application.

Also, it doesn't matter how many trips you took as long as you weren't outside of the US for more than 30 months (3 years) in the last 60 months (5 years) from when you submitted the application. The only other things that affect are single trips of 6 months or more, this is the continuous residence requirement.

Remember that partial days, count as full days in the US. So the days you traveled, even if you were only in the country for an hour, it counts as an entire day.

Thanks Lan. Really appreciated. I am pretty sure I meet all the residency requirements including (1) continous residency, (2) physical presence, and (3) 90-day state residency requirement. I think tax return transcripts, and utilitiy bills are good documents to prove (1) and (3), but not (2). I am just not so sure how to prove physical presence. I guess passport is enough. Thanks.

Yes, but like I said, I don't think you have to send in any of that stuff with the application. That I'm aware of, they only require this kind of evidence if you have ever taken a trip of 6 months or more. If that isn't your case, they may not even look at the passports, but you do have to bring them to the interview.

This does not constitute legal advice.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.