Ronn63

More dumb questions...

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Ok...my wife just realized she doesn't have her daughter's birth certificate here in the US. With the timing, (or lack thereof,) in the Philippines, it will take quite a while for her family to get to NSO, and even longer for them to get it here. Say they go to NSO, and get a couple of copies, will they need special power of attorney? Also, will USCIS accept a scanned copy of the birth certificate until we get the original over here? We are trying to get the I-130 filed ASAP. Would actually like to have it in the mail by the end of the month.

As always, all responses are greatly appreciated.

no need for the special power of attorney, they can get it with no problem, and they can send it to you through LBC, it will get there for just 3 to 4 days.

Filed: IR-2 Country: Philippines
Timeline

You can also have your wife order one online and pay extra for the express service.

For faster delivery (5-8 working days after payment), avail of special courier services by emailing us at ecensus2@census.gov.ph.

https://www.ecensus.com.ph/Secure/Delivery.aspx

USCIS doesn't need a certified copy; you'll be providing that at the NVC stage. A scanned copy is fine so long as it's legible.

Hi,

I don't know about getting the birth certificate part, but once they have the certificate, they can just scan it and email it to you. They still have to mail it to you, but you don't need the original in order to submit the petition. The petition specifically requires a photocopy and a scanned copy is just that. Like suggested before, just make sure it's legible.

Does your wife not have a photocopy already or doesn't the child already have a birth cert, because you can just have them email you a copy of that and then use the certified copy for the NVC stage.

For every petition I have filed or helped file, I submit a copy of the birth cert I have lying around, and then order the certified copy for the NVC.

This does not constitute legal advice.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.