G_One

Joint sponsor change question

6 posts in this topic

Filed: FB-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hi All,

I have my fb1 interview in november. I have few questions, my fathers elderly relative was my joint sponsor along with my dad when we submitted the AOS before 3 yrs back. But unfortunately my fathers relative who was very old, had expired about an year ago.

Now do I need to submit only last 1 year's tax papers or do I need to file for last 3 years tax papers from my another joint sponsor at the Interview ?

secondly I had already submitted DS-230 paper form long back in 2011, do I need to still submit the DS-260 online form now, is that mandatory or I can ignore that ?

Please respond, thanks.

I think you mean to say he died a year ago, not expired. If he died, you need a new joint sponsor and have them fill out an I-864 with supporting docs.

You may have to submit the new DS260, they did that to my cousin's husband and her stepson, they had already submitted the DS230 and hadn't received case complete before the DS260 was in effect. Be sure to print the confirmation page if you fill it out.

This does not constitute legal advice.

Timeline

I think you mean to say he died a year ago, not expired. If he died, you need a new joint sponsor and have them fill out an I-864 with supporting docs.

You may have to submit the new DS260, they did that to my cousin's husband and her stepson, they had already submitted the DS230 and hadn't received case complete before the DS260 was in effect. Be sure to print the confirmation page if you fill it out.

@Ian

For first part: My question is how many years of Tax papers do I need from the current new Joint sponsor (1yr or 3 yr) ?

Second Part: My case was complete in 2011 itself with DS-230 paper form. But now, do I need to submit DS260 for sure or i can ignore it ?

Technically, they only require the latest tax return, but it's best to send them for the last 3 years to avoid a checklist.

You would have to contact the NVC for that, but most likely you will need to fill out the DS260. It happened to my cousin's husband, we had filled out the DS 230 and sent it in, and they still required the DS260. Besides it's possible that some of the info on the DS230 may have changed anyway, it's the same form, only now, it's just online. Apart from the time it will take to fill out, it's not a burden, and you only have to print out the confirmation page at the end.

Timeline

Technically, they only require the latest tax return, but it's best to send them for the last 3 years to avoid a checklist.

You would have to contact the NVC for that, but most likely you will need to fill out the DS260. It happened to my cousin's husband, we had filled out the DS 230 and sent it in, and they still required the DS260. Besides it's possible that some of the info on the DS230 may have changed anyway, it's the same form, only now, it's just online. Apart from the time it will take to fill out, it's not a burden, and you only have to print out the confirmation page at the end.

@Thanks Ian H

One another question.

Note that I had previously sent the same AOS filled in form in 2011 to NVC, since now all the old docs are expired they new ones.

Now on 9th oct I got the Interview Letter and on 24th nov I have the Interview. In such case am I required to Post mail (or Email) the I-864 and Tax papers to NVC or carry them to the Interview ?

Edited by G_One

You should contact the NVC about this to make sure, but I believe that you have to bring the updated I-864 to the interview. So not only do you need new supporting docs for the I-864, but you also need a new I-864 because it's only valid for one year, therefore the one you submitted expired. Also, when you do the DS260, be sure to print out the confirmation page with the barcode and bring it to the interview.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.