Mariana M.

Experiences without tax return for K-1 in Brazil?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hello,

My K-1 interview in Rio is on November 4th. My fiance has mailed me all the things he had to already. However, I'm still insecure about the tax returns with the I-134. My future father in law will be our co-sponsor, and he is not very comfortable with sending me their tax return because it contains the SSN of the 4 members of the family.

It doesn't say anywhere that taking the tax return is mandatory. I e-mailed the consulate about this and they replied the strangest thing:

"Para vistos de noiva não é obrigatória a apresentação do formulário I-134. Seu futuro sogro poderá apresentar qualquer coisa que prove que ele tenha renda suficiente para mantê-la nos Estados Unidos. O último imposto de renda é o documento recomendável, uma vez que ele mostra a real situação financeira da pessoa."

("For fiance visas it is not mandatory the presentation of the I-134 form. Your future father in law may present any thing that proves that he has sufficient income to mantain you in the US. The last tax return is the recommendable document, once it shows the real finantial situation of a person.")

I find it very difficult to believe that the I-134 is not mandatory, as it is pretty clear on their website that it is, and in all other countries too, as far as I know. So I don't really trust that e-mail. Of course I'll print it and take it to the interview.

I have a solid job statement and a solid bank statement.

I just wanted to feel more secure: has anyone been approved for a K-1 in Rio without tax returns?

Please, any information is appreciated, as I will need to get it asap if that's the case. I just didn't want to pressure my fiance's family.

Thanks

Timeline

That's certainly a little confusing. Why they're not requiring the I-134 is not clear, but it's pretty clear in their instructions that it is in fact NOT REQUIRED. See page 7:

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/brazil/571295/pdfs/Inst%20_amp_%20Interv%20letter%20Fiancee%20K1K2-%20Eng%20Oct13.pdf

I guess they're saying that the document that proves income is enough? Even so, the I-864 will DEFINITELY be required later on, so if your father-in-law is uncomfortable giving you the appropriate paperwork now, he'll probably feel the same way in a few months, and it will be a problem. Your fiancé can't convince him that nothing bad will happen with the SSNs?

Timeline

That's certainly a little confusing. Why they're not requiring the I-134 is not clear, but it's pretty clear in their instructions that it is in fact NOT REQUIRED. See page 7:

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/brazil/571295/pdfs/Inst%20_amp_%20Interv%20letter%20Fiancee%20K1K2-%20Eng%20Oct13.pdf

I guess they're saying that the document that proves income is enough? Even so, the I-864 will DEFINITELY be required later on, so if your father-in-law is uncomfortable giving you the appropriate paperwork now, he'll probably feel the same way in a few months, and it will be a problem. Your fiancé can't convince him that nothing bad will happen with the SSNs?

I guess it is clear, it just had never crossed my mind when I read that before.

They would be ok with giving the required documents for the I-184, but they didn't want to send me their tax return all the way to Brazil if it isn't completely necessary. They even contacted these legal services and they told them to follow the I-134, which states to only show tax returns if self-employed. Who am I to say that I need it, that the guidelines are of an I-184, if a lawyer said I don't, you know?

However, if someone tells me here that they've had problem because they didn't have that form, I'll make an effort to get it.

Timeline

Then you should definitely wait for someone who has already been through the interview stage to respond here. But the tax return, as far as I know, is not one of the documents that needs an original signature. In fact, you only sign it when you submit it to the IRS in the first place, and they keep that document. So if you DO end up needing it, then you could tell him to scan it and e-mail it to you and then you print it, without it going through the mail or anyone else seeing it.

Good luck and let me know how it goes!

Timeline

Then you should definitely wait for someone who has already been through the interview stage to respond here. But the tax return, as far as I know, is not one of the documents that needs an original signature. In fact, you only sign it when you submit it to the IRS in the first place, and they keep that document. So if you DO end up needing it, then you could tell him to scan it and e-mail it to you and then you print it, without it going through the mail or anyone else seeing it.

Good luck and let me know how it goes!

Yes, I'm trying to convince my fiance right now lol

Thank you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Maybe you can print the tax return form, cover the SSNs with a black marker, make a copy of them, and then take the copy to the interview? This way even if the Consulate people keep the papers they won't be able to read the SSNs? Btw this is an idea that just occurred to me (so I can't assure you that it will work), but if my husband had thought of it before my interview he would definitely have asked me to give it a try.

Good luck!

K1 Visa in 2013

AOS in 2014

N-400 in 2015 {based on Section 319(b) INA}

:time:

Timeline

Maybe you can print the tax return form, cover the SSNs with a black marker, make a copy of them, and then take the copy to the interview? This way even if the Consulate people keep the papers they won't be able to read the SSNs? Btw this is an idea that just occurred to me (so I can't assure you that it will work), but if my husband had thought of it before my interview he would definitely have asked me to give it a try.

Good luck!

Huh! If they are still uncomfortable after my fiance explains the situation, I'll propose that. It will sure be better than nothing.

Thanks!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.