Fromacrossthepond

Success!

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

So I had my k1 interview yesterday and was approved! Hurray!

Very, very excited here, but have no idea what to do with myself until I get my passport back.

My experience is much the same as everyone else who has gone before me, so theres not alot I can add.

I turned up at 0715 for my 0800 appointment - and still wasnt by any means first in line lol. And thank god it wasnt raining like it was today!

I was in the building by 0750, called to give my documents at 0805, and then left to sit for about half an hour.

When I was finally called, the interview was over in what felt like no time whatsoever. The nice lady interviewing was extemely professional and as it turned out, an ex lawyer.

Also turns out she grew up and lived / worked in Boston for most of her life - so we got on like a house on fire.

As everyone else gone before has commented, its a conversation, not a series of straight questions. I got asked nothing a normal couple would have any trouble immediatly answering. Then just like that, she said the magic word "approved". Cue me waving hands and jumping up and down.

I hope this in some way helps those whose interviews are coming up. Any questions please ask away!

See my timeline signature for my dates for those wanting a rough timeline of their own.

12/03/14 Package sent

20/03/14 NOA1

02/09/14 NOA2

09/09/14 Hardcopy NOA2 received

15/09/14 Received at NVC

17/09/14 Case number and sent to Embassy

22/09/14 London receives and creates case

23/09/14 DS160 completed

24/09/14 Medical attended

24/09/14 Readiness form submitted

27/09/14 Packet 3 received

04/10/14 Packet 4 received

07/10/14 Interview

16/10/14 Passport and packet received

21/10/14 Boston!

Timeline

Congrats! It must be such a relief to get done with it!

I have a couple of questions about your timeline -- if I may ask it here?

--You say you submitted your DS-160 and readiness form before you received packet-3. Did you have to write to them again after they sent packet-3 saying you had already sent them the documents they need?

--Was "packet-3" an email or a letter in the post?

--Your interview was 3 days from packet-4. That's amazingly quick! Did you ask for any expedites? Did this depend on your 'expected departure date' or 'planned wedding dates' that they ask for in the DS-160 and readiness form?

Thanks. And sorry to bother you with questions in your moment of - what I am sure is - TOTAL bliss! :)

12 May 2014: Mailed 129F packet to Dallas lockbox

21 May 2014: NOA1 from TSC

18 Sep 2014: NOA2

23 Sep 2014: Case sent to NVC

30 Sep 2014: NVC received + case number generated

06 Oct 2014: Left NVC

08 Oct 2014: Medical exam

09 Oct 2014: Case reached embassy in London

09 Oct 2014: DS-160 and Applicant Readiness form submitted

21 Oct 2014: Interview letter received

29 Oct 2014: Interview --> Approved!

07 Nov 2014: Visa in hand

08 Nov 2014: LHR --> BOS [Finally!!]

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Congratulations and good luck for your new life in the US!

P.S. nice to see a fellow future Bostonian in here, I moved to Boston from the UK 3 months ago :)

Edited by Hotter Otter

My blog about my visa journey and adjusting to my new life in the US http://albiontoamerica.wordpress.com/

Timeline

Congrats! It must be such a relief to get done with it!

I have a couple of questions about your timeline -- if I may ask it here?

--You say you submitted your DS-160 and readiness form before you received packet-3. Did you have to write to them again after they sent packet-3 saying you had already sent them the documents they need?

--Was "packet-3" an email or a letter in the post?

--Your interview was 3 days from packet-4. That's amazingly quick! Did you ask for any expedites? Did this depend on your 'expected departure date' or 'planned wedding dates' that they ask for in the DS-160 and readiness form?

Thanks. And sorry to bother you with questions in your moment of - what I am sure is - TOTAL bliss! :)

Roger I am in total bliss, but have all the time in the world to reply to you!

Theres only so much shouting with joy my fiance and I can do to one another over the phone :jest:

Packet 3 is an automated letter, via post, from the embassy, I completely ignored it as I already knew what it was going to say (from reading the excellent k1 guide on this site) and had already completed what it asked me to do.

The very moment London had received my case from the NVC I completed the DS160, booked and then attended my medical - I didnt wait for the letter to tell me to do all this. It would seem you can shave off quite a bit of time.

Once I had done all that, I then used the embassy 'contact us' form to politely inform them that I was often in and out of London....I could attend short notice interviews etc etc. If you offer this info before they set your interview date - maybe they take it into consideration? And yup, I also mentioned early wedding dates on the DS160 and readiness form.

Congratulations and good luck for your new life in the US!

P.S. nice to see a fellow future Bostonian in here, I moved to Boston from the UK 3 months ago :)

I read your blog last week!

Nice to know where I can get proper chocolate from though haha.

Shame its so far from the north end.

12/03/14 Package sent

20/03/14 NOA1

02/09/14 NOA2

15/09/14 Received at NVC

23/09/14 DS160 completed

07/10/14 Interview

21/10/14 Boston!

Timeline

Roger I am in total bliss, but have all the time in the world to reply to you!

Theres only so much shouting with joy my fiance and I can do to one another over the phone :jest:

Packet 3 is an automated letter, via post, from the embassy, I completely ignored it as I already knew what it was going to say (from reading the excellent k1 guide on this site) and had already completed what it asked me to do.

The very moment London had received my case from the NVC I completed the DS160, booked and then attended my medical - I didnt wait for the letter to tell me to do all this. It would seem you can shave off quite a bit of time.

Once I had done all that, I then used the embassy 'contact us' form to politely inform them that I was often in and out of London....I could attend short notice interviews etc etc. If you offer this info before they set your interview date - maybe they take it into consideration? And yup, I also mentioned early wedding dates on the DS160 and readiness form.

Great! I just looked at the 'contact us' form. Did you say your enquiry concerns immigrant visa, or non-immigrant visa? I'm guessing you chose one of those two options among the radio buttons on the form, right? I ask because although K-1 is a non-immigrant visa, I believe it is processed by the immigrant visa department at the consulate? Please let me know. Thanks.

Timeline

Great! I just looked at the 'contact us' form. Did you say your enquiry concerns immigrant visa, or non-immigrant visa? I'm guessing you chose one of those two options among the radio buttons on the form, right? I ask because although K-1 is a non-immigrant visa, I believe it is processed by the immigrant visa department at the consulate? Please let me know. Thanks.

I chose the 'I wish to know the status of my immigrant or fiancé visa application' tab.

Remember to include your LND case number in the text.............Not like me who forgot to do that :content:

12/03/14 Package sent

20/03/14 NOA1

02/09/14 NOA2

15/09/14 Received at NVC

23/09/14 DS160 completed

07/10/14 Interview

21/10/14 Boston!

Timeline

I chose the 'I wish to know the status of my immigrant or fiancé visa application' tab.

Remember to include your LND case number in the text.............Not like me who forgot to do that

OK; thanks!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Lot's of places sell proper chocolate (if you need a heads up on places when you arrive I'll be happy to oblige) it's just that Kiki's in Brighton is the cheapest and has the best selection! :)

My blog about my visa journey and adjusting to my new life in the US http://albiontoamerica.wordpress.com/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.