Jump to content

2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

My Fiance is finally here with his K-1 Visa. We obatained our marriage license yesterday. We are getting married in two weeks.

I will like to know if he can apply for his social security number before the marriage? Can he also get a driver's license? Can he use the k-1 visa to apply for work person.

Responses will greatly be appreciated.


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

He can and should get his SSN now, before the marriage. Some people have issues getting an SSN after the marriage, even with a valid I-94.

He may be able to get a drivers license, depending on your state's laws. It may expire the date of the I-94 though. Most states will make him wait until he gets the EAD or green card. He may be able to legally drive with his foreign license for a certain period, again depending on your state's laws.

He cannot work on the K-1. He will need to wait until he receives the EAD or green card to start work. He can apply for jobs though.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...