jenni and sami

Delay in getting SSN - Should I wait before AoS?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I have just moved to the States on a K1 and got married just before Christmas. We had been advised to wait two weeks before applying for a social security number, but when I did apply exactly two weeks after arrival, I still wasn't on their computer system (that was on the 20th of December). The lady at the office advised me to go ahead and apply anyway, which I did, as we were going to be away for the next two weeks afterwards. HOwever, I'm now slightly concerned that I won't get my SSN before the three months is up to apply for Adjustment of Status, EAD etc. Should I wait for the SSN, or can I go ahead and apply for AoS, and then apply for an EAD later when I get my SSN? If SSN is necessary to apply for AoS, then what if I haven't received it in a month?

Many thanks for any advice.

Filed: Timeline

You do not need a SSN to file for AOS or EAD or AP.... just put none where it asks for the SSN#...

I would be heading back to the SSA office to find out why its taking so long to get the number.... but file for your AOS now dont wait for the number...

Kez

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
You do not need a SSN to file for AOS or EAD or AP.... just put none where it asks for the SSN#...

I would be heading back to the SSA office to find out why its taking so long to get the number.... but file for your AOS now dont wait for the number...

Kez

Thanks Kez. Is that definite? I assumed because of the timelines on this site, where they say get married, get an SSN, then apply for AOS/EAD, that you need it. Great if I don't, though I wish I'd known earlier. All part of the learning curve I guess.

Thanks again.

Try a search for MDYoung. This person was a pro with SSN issues and usually had all sorts of links in his emails that could help you resolve your problem. good luck :thumbs:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Take a look at this post, there should be some good links for SSN:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;#entry568115

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Kez

Thanks Kez. Is that definite? I assumed because of the timelines on this site, where they say get married, get an SSN, then apply for AOS/EAD, that you need it. Great if I don't, though I wish I'd known earlier. All part of the learning curve I guess.

Thanks again.

It is definite, you do not need one to file AOS, but for your own needs.... DL insurance etc it is handy.

I 130 & I129F (K3) and AOS info in timeline

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.