Dave & Mong

Now what??? Help!!!

17 posts in this topic

I'm not a Psychologist, Physician of any type. I'm a nurse. But I'd like to chime in to help. We are in NW btw. You might find your wife in same shoes, or differ somewhat. I'm a Vietnamese guy, we have a huge community of Vietnamese locals here: foods, shopping, markets all were either Vietnamese or Asians.

My wife in USA for months, but she still suffered depression, moods swings. She lost weight, was sick severe due to "homesick" (admitted to hospital). She cried in bathroom alone. She cried softly in her sleeps. Even if she didn't cry thru the night, I found her tears dried up on her face & pillow every other mornings.

I tried these: take her outdoors, hiking, walking together (always bring an umbrella regardless weather, water bottles & snacks in backpack), ride bicycles, take photos of her at random seconds w/my iphone, always standby/stand nearby the women restroom in malls/costco/walmarts/hiking trail/picnic areas/rest areas/parks...etc (regardless she has her phone in her pocket/purse or not), always offer foot/legs massages as she walks (she didn't use to walk a lot in VN, easily get sour muscles/tired....get her running shoes for walking as well).

Find out what she interested in, sometimes she fell in-love with big SALES in shopping malls, especially those with 50% SALES and higher. Brought her to thrift stores for treasures hunts, shown her websites about expensive & rare US coins, pennies, stamps, etc… to carry her interests. Brought her to 4D (D-Box theaters) or take her to those games center where racing or shooting but the seats shake heavily. Drove her around towns, downtowns where there were homeless, let her hand those homeless individuals (men/women) $1 & coins herself.

Arrange her to go to Hospital/Clinics for appointment, check up and go to those that have interpreter services (or staff speak Vietnamese). Get her Driving Instruction permit ASAP, teach her to drive patiently in remote parks, empty parking lots, and rural highways.

Takes her to funny cartoons movies (such as upcoming penguins movie) or romantic movies (avoid Terror, Horror or Too much Actions/Shootings/Killings/Deaths movies, because she couldn’t understand from listening, she only tried to understanding by stare at the images).

Hook up Facetime, Skype, Video Chat to let her talk/chat with her family in VN, voice phone alone is not sufficient, but if you think voice phone, try OneSuite or Localphone.com have lower rates for phone.

Got to to go now. But let me know if none of these ideas work for you or you are welcome to PM me at anytime.

My wife never has this problem, and she's Vietnamese, she had a life , a job, friends the whole smackeroo back in Vietnam, it's been over a year since she came to US and living with me, not once,and I meant once, she has this so call "home sick" problems or the "monthly thingy" women going thru. . She knew where she came from, she made her decision to move ahead to a different life, and never look back, she never forget her family, she still talk to them whenever she wanted, she tried everything new here in the US with me, foods, life styles, you name it, she's doing it. She has to wanted, your wife has to accept this new life one way or another, her attitude has to change or she won't make it, and your life will be hell. Just my experience , or may be I'm just very lucky.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.