team_gn

What is the required residency period for a USC to register a marriage to an Indian citizen in India

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I have read two different answers from several sources around the Internet. Can anyone with experience tell me whether 1) BOTH parties are required to be in residence for 30 days in the locale where the marriage will be registered or 2) ONLY ONE party is required to be in residence for 30 days. This is regarding a civil marriage, not religious. My fiance and I have different religions, so I may be difficult to find someone to conduct a religious marriage.

Thanks!

I am the Petitioner

Our Relationship

2013-04 - Fiance and I have first non-work related chat at work. The topic...Scotch!

2013-06 - We get better acquainted outside of work via Facebook.

2013-09-07- We're a couple!

2013-11-27- We meet in person for the first time! I travel to India and we spend 10 days together in Delhi.

2013-12 -2014-02- Sometime between December and February, we become engaged (positive now after in-person meeting luv.gif )

Our K-1 Journey

2014-02-18- I-129F mailed

2014-02-25- NOA1. Assigned to Texas Service Center.

2014-02-27- Alien registration number changed.

2014-08-12- UCSIS website updated.... RFE for more evidence of intent to marry (engagement photos, wedding announcements, deposits paid, etc). :wow:

2014-08-19- RFE response. Waiting to see what happens....

2014-09-08- I-129F APPROVED finally!!! :dance:

2014-09-12- Petition sent to NVC.

2014-09-17- 2nd trip to New Delhi

2014-12-09- Interview in New Delhi. PETITIONER ATTENDED THE INTERVIEW. Result- Approved!!!!

2015-03-20- POE Charlotte, NC

2015-03-25- Married!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

My husband and I went to the local marriage office within a few days of me arriving in India this summer to file for a marriage under the Special Marriage Act (due to difference in religions). It was no issue for us. Though, for all civil marriages (like this one), you hve to wait atleast 30 days before you can get married (to give the opportunity for anyone to come forward if they do not thing the parties are going into the marriage in good-faith, etc.). That is the only time requirement that I think is there though because as said we went within a few days after I arrived, and it was no issue at all.

Hope this helps!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Thank you Katie! This is me in contingency mode. My fiance and I will have a K1 interview coming up shortly. Of course I hope for approval. But, if that doesn't happen, I'm just looking ahead to other options. There is no way that I'll be able to take 30+ days away from work to get married in India, and he has already been denied a tourist visa to the U.S. So we would have to find a 3rd country to get married in.

Thanks again for the information.

I am the Petitioner

Our Relationship

2013-04 - Fiance and I have first non-work related chat at work. The topic...Scotch!

2013-06 - We get better acquainted outside of work via Facebook.

2013-09-07- We're a couple!

2013-11-27- We meet in person for the first time! I travel to India and we spend 10 days together in Delhi.

2013-12 -2014-02- Sometime between December and February, we become engaged (positive now after in-person meeting luv.gif )

Our K-1 Journey

2014-02-18- I-129F mailed

2014-02-25- NOA1. Assigned to Texas Service Center.

2014-02-27- Alien registration number changed.

2014-08-12- UCSIS website updated.... RFE for more evidence of intent to marry (engagement photos, wedding announcements, deposits paid, etc). :wow:

2014-08-19- RFE response. Waiting to see what happens....

2014-09-08- I-129F APPROVED finally!!! :dance:

2014-09-12- Petition sent to NVC.

2014-09-17- 2nd trip to New Delhi

2014-12-09- Interview in New Delhi. PETITIONER ATTENDED THE INTERVIEW. Result- Approved!!!!

2015-03-20- POE Charlotte, NC

2015-03-25- Married!!!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Thank you Katie! This is me in contingency mode. My fiance and I will have a K1 interview coming up shortly. Of course I hope for approval. But, if that doesn't happen, I'm just looking ahead to other options. There is no way that I'll be able to take 30+ days away from work to get married in India, and he has already been denied a tourist visa to the U.S. So we would have to find a 3rd country to get married in.

Thanks again for the information.

If you use an agent and pay a "fee" you can get around the 30 day requirement. Our agent had all our papers back-dated for our court marriage. we got married in Pune and also used the special marriage act

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

If you use an agent and pay a "fee" you can get around the 30 day requirement. Our agent had all our papers back-dated for our court marriage. we got married in Pune and also used the special marriage act

Well, I believe this because paying a fee will get just about anything done there. I was just lucky to be able to stay in India with my husband for two months which automatically satisfied the 30 day requirement. :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.