team_gn

Not sure whether I will be able to attend K1 interview with my fiance

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hi VJ friends,

I would really appreciate input from those of you who have recently gone through the New Delhi embassy for K1, or who are familiar with the K1 process in India at all. My fiance and I received NOA2 for our K1 petition and had it sent to NVC literally a few days before I came to visit with him in New Delhi. I am here in Delhi with him now for 10 days, and I'm leaving in two days to go back to the U.S. Plane tickets plus hotel plus other expenses to India aren't cheap, and I'm really concerned that I can't afford to spend this kind of money again within only a few weeks to attend the interview.

However, our case has some "red flags" for this region: I'm older by five years, racial difference, religious difference (sort of), no engagement ceremony, haven't been able to meet each other's family. We met each other in Spring/Summer 2013 and have visited twice since then totaling 20-22 days. I understand that under these circumstances it's advised that the petitioner attend the interview. But, I don't want to put myself or the two of us in a financial bind knowing that best case we have visa, medical, plane ticket for him and adjustment of status fees to deal with, in worst case the cost of coordinating a marriage and filing CR1 petition, in addition to the medical and visa fees for the K1 process.

Below is a list of the various pieces of evidence that we would submit for the interview. Some have already been submitted in our application which the embassy will receive. This evidence would be submitted whether or not I attend with him. I know that no one can predict the embassy's decision. But please review and tell me what you think just based on the evidence, and whether or not you think we might have a shot without my attendance.

Notarized copy of my entire passport (I'm also willing to send him my actual passport in sealed envelope, notarized signature over the sealed flap, for him

to present unopened to the embassy).

PAN card copy from fiance

Passport biographic pages from fiance

Proof of relationship

Already Submitted

Skype and Facebook printouts from beginning of relationship to application

Picture and receipt for gift (watch) from fiance to me during first visit

Receipts from day trips together, pictures together

Letters of support from 3 friends

Notarized statement from me describing the relationship and how it started.

Statement from fiance describing the relationship and how it started.

New evidence to bring to interview

Skype call logs to present

Whatsapp logs to present

Letter of support from my mother

Letter of support from fiance's parents (don't have this yet but working on it)

Skype screenshots showing conversation with fiance's parents (don't have this yet but working on it)

Copy of hotel register from this visit showing we are occupying the same room.

Photos of us attending gurudwara together (for the religious differences. He is Sikh).

Money transfer receipts (me to fiance, small amounts here and there).

General proofs of meeting like boarding passes, my credit card receipts from charges here, etc.

Thanks for the feedback.

I am the Petitioner

Our Relationship

2013-04 - Fiance and I have first non-work related chat at work. The topic...Scotch!

2013-06 - We get better acquainted outside of work via Facebook.

2013-09-07- We're a couple!

2013-11-27- We meet in person for the first time! I travel to India and we spend 10 days together in Delhi.

2013-12 -2014-02- Sometime between December and February, we become engaged (positive now after in-person meeting luv.gif )

Our K-1 Journey

2014-02-18- I-129F mailed

2014-02-25- NOA1. Assigned to Texas Service Center.

2014-02-27- Alien registration number changed.

2014-08-12- UCSIS website updated.... RFE for more evidence of intent to marry (engagement photos, wedding announcements, deposits paid, etc). :wow:

2014-08-19- RFE response. Waiting to see what happens....

2014-09-08- I-129F APPROVED finally!!! :dance:

2014-09-12- Petition sent to NVC.

2014-09-17- 2nd trip to New Delhi

2014-12-09- Interview in New Delhi. PETITIONER ATTENDED THE INTERVIEW. Result- Approved!!!!

2015-03-20- POE Charlotte, NC

2015-03-25- Married!!!!!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Read my case.

Go if you can.

If you can't go, there are a lot of examples on VJ where the couple is denied or goes through hell specifically when they have all of the red flags you have.

GO.

Bec & Dipu

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : New Delhi, India

I-129F Sent : 2010-11-22

I-129F NOA1 : 2010-12-01

I-129F NOA2 : 2011-04-21

NVC Received : 2011-04-27

NVC Left : 2011-05-05

Embassy Rcvd : 2011-05-08

Pack 3 Rcvd : 2011-05-11

Pack 3 Sent : 2011-06-23

Pack 4 Rcvd : 2011-07-08

Interview : 2011-08-03

Visa Received : 2011-11-09

POE : 2012-01-13

Marriage : 2012-01-21

AOS/EAD Sent : 2012-02-13

NOA1 : 2012-02-22

Timeline

Read my case.

Go if you can.

If you can't go, there are a lot of examples on VJ where the couple is denied or goes through hell specifically when they have all of the red flags you have.

GO.

Thank you for the advice. I've read your case and pretty much all of the other ones pertaining to interracial couples in New Delhi. I've used the feed back from the 221g notices and denials to compile the list of evidence to be submitted. I'm also thinking to contact the embassy to see if they would be willing to extend the validity of the petition past the current expiration date of Jan 4, 2015, which is only 3 months away. My fiance and I will discuss and decide together. Thanks again.

I am the Petitioner

Our Relationship

2013-04 - Fiance and I have first non-work related chat at work. The topic...Scotch!

2013-11-27- We meet in person for the first time! I travel to India and we spend 10 days together in Delhi.

2013-12 -2014-02- Sometime between December and February, we become engaged (positive now after in-person meeting luv.gif )

Our K-1 Journey

2014-08-12- UCSIS website updated.... RFE for more evidence of intent to marry (engagement photos, wedding announcements, deposits paid, etc). :wow:

2014-12-09- Interview in New Delhi. PETITIONER ATTENDED THE INTERVIEW. Result- Approved!!!!

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

My fiancee's K1 visa was rejected. We were not even interracial. Same religion, same ethnicity. I was older to her by 5 years but that is normal per Indian tradition for the guy to be older. The CO treated her like a piece of garbage. We got married and filed an CR1. Come hell or high water, I am going to the interview to be with her.

The emotional and financial turmoil that you will go through after a K1 rejection is unimaginable. You will spend money on lawyers. You will also spend money on at least 3 trips by the time your C1 comes through. The NVC is currently taking 60 days to touch a document. You could potentially be looking at a 2 year wait from this point if your K1 gets denied. Do you want to take that risk?

I re read your case. Your fiance is a Sikh. I am also a Sikh. There is a high amount of fraud that goes on in Punjab. I think they treat everyone from Punjab as a fraud case and work their way backwards to an approval.

Timeline

My fiancee's K1 visa was rejected. We were not even interracial. Same religion, same ethnicity. I was older to her by 5 years but that is normal per Indian tradition for the guy to be older. The CO treated her like a piece of garbage. We got married and filed an CR1. Come hell or high water, I am going to the interview to be with her.

The emotional and financial turmoil that you will go through after a K1 rejection is unimaginable. You will spend money on lawyers. You will also spend money on at least 3 trips by the time your C1 comes through. The NVC is currently taking 60 days to touch a document. You could potentially be looking at a 2 year wait from this point if your K1 gets denied. Do you want to take that risk?

I re read your case. Your fiance is a Sikh. I am also a Sikh. There is a high amount of fraud that goes on in Punjab. I think they treat everyone from Punjab as a fraud case and work their way backwards to an approval.

Thanks for your feed back Harry. I read some of your old posts, so I see some of what you and your wife have experienced. My fiance and I will have a very long discussion this weekend. I just got notice today that our file is with the embassy. I know that one can never predict the timing when it comes to visas, and I'm not trying to be cheap. But, even with all my planning and saving things still happen that make finances difficult sometimes.

Thanks again!

I am the Petitioner

Our Relationship

Our K-1 Journey

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.