Karee

Council reaffirms choice to defund Balch Springs police chief position

2 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

The Balch Springs police chief is about to find himself out of a job, and he says small town politics is the reason why.

A plan to fire him didn't work, so the plan now is to defund his position.

The council member leading the charge has some pretty big legal problems herself.

At a meeting Monday night, the Balch Springs City Council reaffirmed that it will be cutting off funding to the chief's contract and the deputy police chief will take over.

Ironically, on the agenda Monday night, the Balch Springs Mayor was scheduled to give Police Chief Ed Morris an award for service and leadership.R

It was ironic because last week, the Balch Springs City Council first tried to fire Morris outright, and when the votes fell short for that, the funding for his position was eliminated.

As of Oct. 1, his pay stops and he's gone, without a replacement.

“I believe it's some racial discrimination...,” said Morris.

For four years until 2013, Morris served as both city manager and police chief.

Two of the four councilmembers who voted against the chief are white, but last October, he filed an EEOC complaint against Councilwoman Wanda Adams and others.

"It involves Ms. Adams, the city manager, the old city manager and the current chief marshal of the marshal's office,” said Morris.

"So you believe they are after you because you are white?" asked FOX 4.

"I believe that could be correct, yes,” said Morris.

Balch springs has 39 sworn police officers who are understandably concerned.

"It's a violation of state law,” said Sgt. Sean Snow. “The law says we have to have a police chief assigned to us."

“I've been in law enforcement since 1992, and I have never heard of anything like this,” said Sgt. James Young. “They're concerned that if they can do it to one, they can do it to all."

Last week, the story took another odd turn when Councilwoman Adams, the chief's leading critic, made what police are calling a bogus 911 call.

Police say Adams told the responding officer that she was testing police response times.

Adams declined to comment Monday night on the 911 call and anything to do with chief adams

She did talk to FOX 4 on Sunday about the 911 call, saying, "I dialed it, yes, I admit to that, but it was not intentional to be a bogus call."

Adams said she'd seen video of shoplifting at the store and wanted police help, admitting on second thought that she should have handled it differently.

Adams could be charged with a misdemeanor, though police say the case is still under investigation.

Source: http://www.myfoxdfw.com/story/26599908/balch-springs-city-council-reaffirms-decision-to-defund-police-chief-position

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Filed: Other Timeline

"It involves Ms. Adams, the city manager, the old city manager and the current chief marshal of the marshal's office,” said Morris. "So you believe they are after you because you are white?" asked FOX 4.

Last week, the story took another odd turn when Councilwoman Adams, the chief's leading critic, made what police are calling a bogus 911 call. Police say Adams told the responding officer that she was testing police response times. Adams declined to comment Monday night on the 911 call and anything to do with chief adams. She did talk to FOX 4 on Sunday about the 911 call, saying, "I dialed it, yes, I admit to that, but it was not intentional to be a bogus call."

Adams said she'd seen video of shoplifting at the store and wanted police help, admitting on second thought that she should have handled it differently. Adams could be charged with a misdemeanor, though police say the case is still under investigation.

Source: http://www.myfoxdfw....-chief-position

Balch Spring Peyton Place?