Shanelle

Best Health Care Provider and Reasonable Rates in US

14 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My husband does have health insurance coverage from his place of employment and we think I will be able to be added to his coverage, however, just wondering, if they are not willing to add me, and I have to look for a provider, who is the best and most cost efficient?

What has been the experience of you Immigrants out there. Does it sound funny to be referred to as an Immigrant? Oh well, who cares, I will be with my husband and that will make me very happy : ) :dancing:

It can depend on the state. Are you moving to California like you profile states?

For instance we have GEHA, but depending on the state, it may be covered by United Health Care or some other provider since it's a National company specifically meant for federal employees.

I find sometimes it's cheaper anyhow for 2 people to get separate insurance. It can cost only $100 per person, but then 2 people get charged a family of 4 rate and suddenly you're paying $600 a month. It's silly.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Yes, I will be moving to California.

Thanks for the info. I will have to check in to that. OY!! so many, many things to do, check, complete, breath deep, Shan, in, out, in, out. It's not working!! : ) Will have to make my lists and check them twice.

If for some reason he can't add you to his policy, you would be able to apply for coverage through the health exchange and you should be able to compare plans and select the one that you like.

Although, I don't see why you wouldn't be allowed to be added to his policy if you are his spouse and will be living here legally.

This does not constitute legal advice.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

My husband was able to add us to his health plan.

On the other question being referred to as "immigrant" has been less uncomfortable than being referred to as "alien".

The kids quickly learned not to tell anybody they weren't native as ppl were not nice. DMV treatment has been the worse so far - I walked out in tears three times. Hubby went with me the last time.

The OP would likely be able to be added to their husband's policy, it's the cost that may end up being too high than getting two separate ones. You may also have to wait for an open period to enroll. Not all insurance companies consider immigration to be a major event.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

My husband added me January1st of this year, as he had to add me either within 60 days of marriage or at beginning of calendar year. Given that we didn't know exactly when I would get moved, he's been paying for me all this year just in case.

I'll be in Michigan under Blue Cross.

Peace.

Immigration is considered a major event. I would be flabbergasted if it weren't. I believe it's either up to the state or the federal govt to decide what qualifies as a major event, not the insurance company.

I reiterate if the OP is unable to be added to her husband's policy for some reason, she can apply for coverage through the exchange.

Someone mentioned high premiums so I would like to point out that checking out the exchange anyway is also a good idea to compare costs. The link below is for CA, OP's state according to her profile.

https://www.coveredca.com/coverage-basics/special-enrollment/

Edited by Ian H.

Immigration is considered a major event. I would be flabbergasted if it weren't. I believe it's either up to the state or the federal govt to decide what qualifies as a major event, not the insurance company.

I reiterate if the OP is unable to be added to her husband's policy for some reason, she can apply for coverage through the exchange.

Someone mentioned high premiums so I would like to point out that checking out the exchange anyway is also a good idea to compare costs. The link below is for CA, OP's state according to her profile.

https://www.coveredca.com/coverage-basics/special-enrollment/

My husband works for the federal government and THEY did not consider it a major enough event for me to be added to his insurance.

I'm not talking out of my butt here. It's possible his HR manager at his shop did not look into it deeply enough, but this is what I was told.

All I stated was they should inquire. I'm not even sure why you're trying to argue? :wow:

Timeline

Thank you everyone for the great info, and, Ian H, many thanks for the links. I appreciate everyone's kindness in helping out.

I wish everyone all the best in the immigration process, and, with settling in to their new homes and country.

I have American roots as my maternal grandparents were Americans and then moved to Canada because my grandfather had a yen for "adventure". Good fishing and, lots of land.... He came to Canada with a "penny in his pocket" so the story goes.....haha.

All I stated was they should inquire. I'm not even sure why you're trying to argue? :wow:

That's because I wasn't trying to argue. My intention was to let the OP know that she can't be denied coverage under the exchange for not applying within the open enrollment. Also when I said that it's not up to the insurance company to decide what qualifies as a major event, I was referring to insurance companies within the exchange.

OP: You're welcome and I hope you don't have any issues trying to enroll. If you are denied coverage in your husband's policy, get it in writing and request a copy of the policy or regulation that they denied you under to make sure they aren't trying to cheat you. Good luck.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.