soon 2 be mrs van

co sponsor question

4 posts in this topic

My income doesnt quite meet the requirements so my parents have stepped up as co sponsor. Now there is some confusion as to if one of them can sponsor or since they file taxes together if they both need to. Now they both make well above the requirements so I was just trying to see if it is required of them to file jointly because there is only room for one person on the form. If there are any links you have or information please help. Id like to get this straightened out so we can start sending things for my fiance to have ready for his intervew.

Tia

You would put the one who makes the most. They have to prove their share of the income though. Letter of employment/paystubs/w2. I have heard that some consulates don't allow joint sponsors for K1 petitions though, but I don't know which consulate or country you will interview.

This does not constitute legal advice.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

My income doesnt quite meet the requirements so my parents have stepped up as co sponsor. Now there is some confusion as to if one of them can sponsor or since they file taxes together if they both need to. Now they both make well above the requirements so I was just trying to see if it is required of them to file jointly because there is only room for one person on the form. If there are any links you have or information please help. Id like to get this straightened out so we can start sending things for my fiance to have ready for his intervew.

Tia

Start by confirming if the embassy in whatever country you are talking about allows the use of joint sponsors.

Edited by Ning

My fiance is in holland (netherlands) and they do accept co sponsors. My father who makes a little more than my mother roughly 80k with no dependents is the one filling out the application. He is getting a letter from his employer etc. Was just wondering about the joint filing for taxes. if that meant it needed to be reflected some ewy on the form itself.

Thank you.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.