WindowLove

Visiting Days

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi,

I'm a Canadian citizen and I've visited the states and stayed in the states for 2.5 months. How does the 180 day/6month counter work? Is it by calendar year or the month that I started my visit in the states? Does anyone know?

I ask because I would like to stay for a couple months in the states or is it a bad idea to say that to the officer? I can show them a return ticket as well. Will that be a problem?

Edited by WindowLove

Filed: Timeline

Hi there,

I have stayed for almost a total of 5 months so far in the U.S this year and have had absolutely no problems. Every time I cross over they just stamp my passport and it usually says I can stay for about 6 months before I need to go home (even though I usually only go for a month at a time).

I don't believe there is a maximum amount of time per year that Canadians are allowed to stay. Although I could be wrong and in that case someone here will correct me :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

If I were you I wouldn't be telling the officer I planned on staying 6 months because they are going to deny your entrance to the US. But for god sakes don't get caught lying to them or they will get you. If you have an application in progress you must provide ties to your own country. (Own a home, lease agreement, family, work, return ticket, ect). If you have intent to immigrate to the US with the purpose of staying and have no ties with your country you will get turned away instantly with no question. If you stay even 1 extra day over the initial entrance to the US, the computer system will automatically bar you from the USA for 3 years. They won't play with you and there will be no talking them out of it afterwards. On the I-94 (stamp in passport) be careful which stamp you get. A b2 will allow you 180 days but another stamp only allows you 3 months. I just found out this lovely detail. I thought everybody got an automatic b2 but they do not. My husband is a pilot and customs warned him about the passport stamp if I chose to visit and stay awhile. With an application in process you are a higher risk of intent to immigrate so the rules change. Hope that helps.

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

It's very simple. There is no clock or counter. Equal time spent in for the time out. If you're in some place for more than 6 months in a one year time span you are residing there. So if you spend more time out of the US then inside your fine. If you enter the US for 4 weeks and leave for 6 weeks before returning your fine.

If you enter the US for 4 weeks and leave for 2 weeks they are likely to let you slide once but if a pattern develops where you have 4 weeks in the US and 2 weeks out they will eventually deny you entry. How ever much time is spent in the US on a given trip spend a little more time outside the US. You stay for the full 6 month stamp you'll need to go home for 6 months before trying to re-enter.

Last year 40 million people entered the US on a tourist visa. The odds are in your favor. People only post when they are denied or have a bad experience. Just don't volunteer information when crossing the border if not asked and don't lie. If they do deny entry take the offer from the officer to voluntarily withdraw entry application. If you don't voluntarily return to your country this can result in a ban making a marriage/fiancee based visa more complicated.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.