Cunuck waiting

Hotels suggestions in Montreal

18 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Any suggestions of hotels to stay at in Montreal. I really want to keep the room around the $150/night mark.

Thanks!

25-March-2013 - I-130 petition sent to Chicago Lockbox

29-March-2013 - NOA1

14-November-2013 - Notice of transfer to Nebraska Service Centre from NBC

08-January-2014 - Approved!

21-January-2014 - NVC Received

04-March-2014 - Case # and Invoice # received via phone (Mailed today)

05-March-2014 - DS-261 available and submitted to NVC

12-March-2014 - Sent ENROLL for EP EMAIL

21-March-2014 - AOS fee shows paid

28-March-2014 - Approved for EP Enrollment OPTIN

17-April-2014 - Paid IV fee payment of $230

23-April-2014 - DS-260 available and submitted

15-May-2014-1st Check-list for AOS

21-May-2014-Send AOS checklist item

5-June-2014-Check-list for DS-260

10-June-2014- Sent checklist item

25-June-2014-NVC agent said case was "scanned in" although I am EP

31-July-2014-Case complete - found out via calling NVC

14-August-2014-Received Interview date via calling NVC

29-September-2014-Interview Scheduled (moved from Sept 22 for work reasons)

01-October -2014 - Passport delivered and VISA in hand

Timeline

We stayed at the Days Inn this past May. It's actually pretty nice and the employees were very friendly. They were very flexible with check out times after we had told them our situation about having our interview. Our interview was early enough to come back, have breakfast (at their restaurant in the hotel which was great!) and check out. It was about a 15 minute walk.

Good luck!

http://www.expedia.ca/Montreal-Hotels-Days-Inn-Montreal-Downtown.h41347.Hotel-Information?hashTag=overview&langid=4105&rm1=a2&emlcid=ETM-ENSPC-issu2-testen-segmX-segaX-date20140419120758-vers01-link-paidX-dma-wave857502&

Also, this is one of the few that do not have any weird extra fees. And there is a parking garage that they share with (I believe Holiday Inn) that was $20...which was pretty safe and you don't have to go searching for a space on the street...and free wifi.

Edited by twin810s

07/05/13 Married smile.png
USCIS:

07/08/13 I-130 sent
07/09/13 NOA 1
01/02/14 Case Transferred to NSC
01/17/14 Requested Expedite
01/21/14 Expedite approved
01/29/14 NOA 2
01/30/14 I-130 sent to NVC
NVC:

02/11/14 Case received at NVC

02/25/14 Received NVC Case#

02/25/14 Return completed DS-261 (DS-3032)

02/25/14 Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill

02/25/14 Pay I-864 Bill

02/25/14 Receive I-864 Package

02/26/14 Return I-864 Package

03/12/14 Receive IV Bill

03/13/14 NVC received I-864
03/14/14 Pay IV Bill

03/19/14 Receive Instruction Package

03/19/14 Submitted DS-260

04/10/14 Case Completed at NVC

04/15/14 Interview scheduled (05/30/14)

04/17/14 Date Rec Appointment Letter (Pkt 4)

05/30/14 Interview - APPROVED!

06/04/14 Date IR-1/CR-1 Visa Received

06/04/14 Paid USCIS ELIS Immigrant Fee

06/11/14 Date of US Entry

08/30/14 Received Green Card in mail

LIFTING CONDITIONS:

04/30/16 I-751 sent

05/02/16 ROC packet received at California Service Center

05/02/16 NOA1 (Received 05/13/16)

02/15/17 Case completed - APPROVED

00/00/00 Received Green Card in mail

May 2016 I-751 Filers Spreadsheet

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1K2JoU_2yXD0QBBqRoM6_auTa52wY1gcMiM0YFhs6cYQ/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=0

Timeline

Any suggestions of hotels to stay at in Montreal. I really want to keep the room around the $150/night mark.

Thanks!

Too funny Cunuck waiting - I was just planning to post this very question today!

I've been researching lots, since I have to travel from BC (total pain, don't understand why they can't do IR-1's in Vancouver, honestly!) and am trying to watch my pennies.

So far in terms of location the Days Inn and the Travelodge seem to be reasonably priced and within a short walking distance. I'll be by myself, so don't need anything too romantic or fancy, sadly! :cry:

Would love to hear some other experiences and places - I know there's some within the consulate reviews, but couldn't hurt to have a separate thread!

Peace all.

:)

I stayed here for a week. http://www.hoteleuropa.com/en/index.html

About a 10 min walk to the consulate and a 10 min walk to Medisys. $99/ night and had nice (but small) queen bed rooms. There was a fridge, a decent sized bathroom and it's close to lots of places to eat.

I took the bus from the airport, $9 for one day. Way cheaper than a cab which is $40 flat rate and takes 45 mins (same as the bus.) It's a 2 block walk from the bus stop.

Someone I know stayed at a travelodge that was close and said she wouldn't have recommended it, but it was fairly cheap and she was only there 2 nights maybe? Apparently it was grungy.

Look at the reviews on tripadvisor!

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

We stayed at the Days Inn this past May. It's actually pretty nice and the employees were very friendly. They were very flexible with check out times after we had told them our situation about having our interview. Our interview was early enough to come back, have breakfast (at their restaurant in the hotel which was great!) and check out. It was about a 15 minute walk.

Good luck!

http://www.expedia.ca/Montreal-Hotels-Days-Inn-Montreal-Downtown.h41347.Hotel-Information?hashTag=overview&langid=4105&rm1=a2&emlcid=ETM-ENSPC-issu2-testen-segmX-segaX-date20140419120758-vers01-link-paidX-dma-wave857502&

Also, this is one of the few that do not have any weird extra fees. And there is a parking garage that they share with (I believe Holiday Inn) that was $20...which was pretty safe and you don't have to go searching for a space on the street...and free wifi.

Too funny Cunuck waiting - I was just planning to post this very question today!

I've been researching lots, since I have to travel from BC (total pain, don't understand why they can't do IR-1's in Vancouver, honestly!) and am trying to watch my pennies.

So far in terms of location the Days Inn and the Travelodge seem to be reasonably priced and within a short walking distance. I'll be by myself, so don't need anything too romantic or fancy, sadly! :cry:

Would love to hear some other experiences and places - I know there's some within the consulate reviews, but couldn't hurt to have a separate thread!

Peace all.

:)

I got married in Montreal a year ago. My parents, children and 3 friends traveled from Texas to be a part of the wedding. They all stayed at the Days Inn as well. It was clean, convenient and fairly inexpensive. No bells or whistles but I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Timeline

I'm going to be staying at the Comfort Suites Downtown in a few nights (my interview is Sept 11)... We booked a king bed suite for $99/night. It's only a few blocks from the consulate. My husband and I always look for Comfort hotels because we find they have the comfiest beds (we like the soft ones!).

I'll let you know how it is!

IR1/CR1 Visa - We are using a lawyer!

Embassy: Montreal, Canada

USCIS

22 Jan 2013 -- packageSent
31 Jan 2013 -- NOA1 from NBC

6 Mar 2013 -- I130 transferred to Orlando local field office (which started the whole nightmare)

Mar 2013 to October 2013 no one would tell us where our case was or what was happening. I suspected the whole time it was just sitting in a corner somewhere in the Orlando field office. I was pretty much right.

October 2013 - get congressman involved. Congressman asks USCIS repeatedly about our case but they won't even tell them anything.

31 Jan 2014- finally get NOA2!!!! (we think the nightmare is over!)

NVC

Our case was not sent from the Orlando field office as it should have been. The nightmare continues. We kept calling NVC and asking if they received our case, and they always said "NO" and that we had to wait 90 business days for it to be received. We called USCIS during this time and they kept telling us it had been sent. After the 90 days of agonizing frustration, NVC then started telling us we had to wait 120 business days. I got our congressman involved again, and they told the congressman it was sitting at the Orlando office this whole time (just as I thought it was!).

22 Apr 2014 -- NVC received
16 May 2014 -- NVC case number assigned
24 May 2014 -- AoS and IV bills paid

28 May 2014 -- Sent AoS and IV Packages

6 June 2014 -- documents scanned

18 July 2014 -- false checklist from NVC

21 July 2014 -- Case complete

28 July 2014 -- receive case complete email from NV

30 July 2014 -- interview booked! September 11 here I come!

Embassy
04 Sept 2014 -- Medical
11 Sept 2014 -- Interview - APPROVED!!!!
15 Sept 2014 -- Package arrived at Loomis location!!!

**03 Oct 2014 -- POE!! **

I NOW LIVE IN OCALA, FL!!!!

Timeline

I stayed here: http://zero1-mtl.com/?lang=en

Tripadvisor page: http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g155032-d1102072-Reviews-Hotel_Zero_1-Montreal_Quebec.html

Super close to the consulate, a straight 5 minute walk up the street if I remember correctly. Slightly boutiquey hotel, but was still affordable and really lovely. Front desk staff were really helpful, and I think we even got free/cheap Metro passes from them. Close walk to all the cool neighbourhoods if you're into a little sight seeing - Montreal is amazing for all their varied shopping and restaurants.

A great option if you'll be in town for a few days and don't want the normal mediocre chain hotel humdrum.

USCIS

Jul 15/11 - Sent I-130 Package from Honolulu

Jul 18/11 - I-130 package received & signed for in Chicago
Jul 19/11 - Priority Date
Jul 21/11 - NOA1/USCIS Acceptance Confirmation received
Jul 29/11 - Received I-797C hard copy
Aug 4/11 - Touched
Feb 16/12 - NOA2 Approval (212 days since Priority Date)

NVC

Feb 28/12 - NVC Case Number, BIN & IIN Assigned, Optin E-mail for EP Sent

Mar 2/12 - DS-261 Submitted
Mar 5/12 - Electronic Processing Opt-in Accepted, AOS Invoiced & Paid
Mar 7/12 - NVC receive IV electronic package, AOS shows "Paid", AOS Package Sent
Mar 9/12 - IV Bill Invoiced & Paid
Mar 12/12 - AOS fee shows as "Not Paid - Rejected": Human error. AOS re-paid.
Mar 13/12 - IV is "Paid." Will have to be re-paid post imminent "Rejected" status. NVC e-mail "Checklist Cover Letter" asking for my $$$
Mar 14/12 - IV is "Rejected - Not Paid", Re-paid, AOS is "Paid"
Mar 16/12 - IV is "Paid", DS-260 submitted & Package sent
Mar 19/12 - IV Package Received
Mar 20/12 - Case Complete E-mail Received (21 days at NVC)

Final Steps

Apr 10/12 - Interview date assigned: May 9 @ 8:30AM

May 1/12 - Medical Date
May 9/12 - Interview result: Approved!
Jun 22/12 - POE
Jul 23/12 - SSN assigned
Aug 10/12 - Green card in hand

ROC

Mar 25/14 - ROC sent to CSC

Mar 28/14 - Package delivered to CSC

Apr 1/14 - Check cashed

Apr 3/14 - Received NOA1, Receipt Date: 3/28

Jun 15/14 - Move to San Diego

Jun 23/14 - RFE / Package sent: Aug 6, ETA Aug 8

Aug 22/14 - New Card in Production

Timeline

I got married in Montreal a year ago. My parents, children and 3 friends traveled from Texas to be a part of the wedding. They all stayed at the Days Inn as well. It was clean, convenient and fairly inexpensive. No bells or whistles but I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Thanks all, good to read the different experiences - I think the Days Inn seems like a good value - I'm only planning 2 nights, not really going to do any sightseeing since I'll be there alone. Reviews of the Travelodge are generally poor. I just want to get this all done and dusted and get moved!!

Cheers all!

Well I live in Montreal so I don't have much experience in renting hotels here. One thing is for sure as mentioned already if you are flying in, do not take a cab! They are incredibly expensive. Taking the bus is a much better option, and it runs frequently.

One suggestion I have, especially if you need to be here for a few days is this website https://www.airbnb.ca/?checkin=10-09-2014&checkout=14-09-2014&locale=en You can rent rooms from people or even apartments. I have used this website in the past and have had great experiences. What I particularly appreciate is that you can read peoples comments. It's definitely worth checking out to save money. Our Metro system is pretty simple to use and not too pricey if ever you are not walking distance from the consulate.

Don't hesitate to pm me if you need more information about Montreal I may have some inside information ;)

Good luck to all and I hope you can enjoy this beautiful city when you visit!

Edited by LiliBurd

''No matter how painful distance can be, not having you in my life would be worse''

August 16 2013: Started dating

July 6 2014: Got engaged! (L)

I liked the metro in Montreal. It was the first time I used an underground metro system. The one area I walked down smelled like urine, but the rest seemed pretty clean.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Is it true that the 747 bus from the airport only takes coins? And is it still $10/person?

IR1/CR1 Visa - We are using a lawyer!

Embassy: Montreal, Canada

USCIS

22 Jan 2013 -- packageSent
31 Jan 2013 -- NOA1 from NBC

6 Mar 2013 -- I130 transferred to Orlando local field office (which started the whole nightmare)

Mar 2013 to October 2013 no one would tell us where our case was or what was happening. I suspected the whole time it was just sitting in a corner somewhere in the Orlando field office. I was pretty much right.

October 2013 - get congressman involved. Congressman asks USCIS repeatedly about our case but they won't even tell them anything.

31 Jan 2014- finally get NOA2!!!! (we think the nightmare is over!)

NVC

Our case was not sent from the Orlando field office as it should have been. The nightmare continues. We kept calling NVC and asking if they received our case, and they always said "NO" and that we had to wait 90 business days for it to be received. We called USCIS during this time and they kept telling us it had been sent. After the 90 days of agonizing frustration, NVC then started telling us we had to wait 120 business days. I got our congressman involved again, and they told the congressman it was sitting at the Orlando office this whole time (just as I thought it was!).

22 Apr 2014 -- NVC received
16 May 2014 -- NVC case number assigned
24 May 2014 -- AoS and IV bills paid

28 May 2014 -- Sent AoS and IV Packages

6 June 2014 -- documents scanned

18 July 2014 -- false checklist from NVC

21 July 2014 -- Case complete

28 July 2014 -- receive case complete email from NV

30 July 2014 -- interview booked! September 11 here I come!

Embassy
04 Sept 2014 -- Medical
11 Sept 2014 -- Interview - APPROVED!!!!
15 Sept 2014 -- Package arrived at Loomis location!!!

**03 Oct 2014 -- POE!! **

I NOW LIVE IN OCALA, FL!!!!

EDIT: prices changed since last year

You can buy a pass at the airport. $10 per person per day. $18 for 3 days. Or coins at the bus.

http://www.stm.info/en/info/networks/bus/shuttle/more-about-747-aeroport-p-e-trudeau-centre-ville-shuttle

Edited by NLR

Is it true that the 747 bus from the airport only takes coins? And is it still $10/person?

You probably do not have an OPUS card, therefore expect to pay the fee on board the bus. If you are stuck with only paper bills there is a store right in front of where the bus stops are that can change your bills into coins to pay the bus fair. Most bus drivers, especially the ones on the 747, are quite nice and will help you figure things out when it comes to transferring to other buses or metros

Edited by LiliBurd

''No matter how painful distance can be, not having you in my life would be worse''

August 16 2013: Started dating

July 6 2014: Got engaged! (L)

Timeline

Thanks all, good to read the different experiences - I think the Days Inn seems like a good value - I'm only planning 2 nights, not really going to do any sightseeing since I'll be there alone. Reviews of the Travelodge are generally poor. I just want to get this all done and dusted and get moved!!

Cheers all!

You should do some sightseeing.

Old Montreal is beautiful. Good luck on your interview.

25-March-2013 - I-130 petition sent to Chicago Lockbox

29-March-2013 - NOA1

14-November-2013 - Notice of transfer to Nebraska Service Centre from NBC

08-January-2014 - Approved!

21-January-2014 - NVC Received

04-March-2014 - Case # and Invoice # received via phone (Mailed today)

05-March-2014 - DS-261 available and submitted to NVC

12-March-2014 - Sent ENROLL for EP EMAIL

21-March-2014 - AOS fee shows paid

28-March-2014 - Approved for EP Enrollment OPTIN

17-April-2014 - Paid IV fee payment of $230

23-April-2014 - DS-260 available and submitted

15-May-2014-1st Check-list for AOS

21-May-2014-Send AOS checklist item

5-June-2014-Check-list for DS-260

10-June-2014- Sent checklist item

25-June-2014-NVC agent said case was "scanned in" although I am EP

31-July-2014-Case complete - found out via calling NVC

14-August-2014-Received Interview date via calling NVC

29-September-2014-Interview Scheduled (moved from Sept 22 for work reasons)

01-October -2014 - Passport delivered and VISA in hand

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.